• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB External Speaker

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
Is the external speakers like these mearly 8 ohm speakers that are terminated on a 3.5mm plug?

I want to put the external speaker in my overhead console using a good 5.25" 8 ohm mid range with a speaker grill

Here is my artistic rendition.

speaker.jpg

That actually look pretty good!!

FOr the External speaker, you can pick one up at radio shack, a truck stop or a good auto parts place. Also, Rad shack has kits make your own terminal for the speaker....

Thanks. The swiches are real, the speaker is not. Not my best photochop work, but i did it in a hurry to help explain what I'm trying to do.

Yeah, I've seen the ones that Radio shack sells. It will be hard to make it look OEM because they are thick.

Still not a bad idea putting one in the O/H console.....

Like I said before, Rad shack sells the 3.5MM plug kits. All you would need is the wire and the speaker.....

Over head communications speaker is good, however with it in the center you're passenger will enjoy, or not, what is being said.

My wife doesn't like hearing the communications radio while we are on a trip. I bought a headset/mic combo so only I enjoy the conversations. :D

Great idea though.

Mudderoy said:
Over head communications speaker is good, however with it in the center you're passenger will enjoy, or not, what is being said.

My wife doesn't like hearing the communications radio while we are on a trip. I bought a headset/mic combo so only I enjoy the conversations. :D

Great idea though.
My wife doesn't normally ride with me. Thank gawd, she makes enough noise as it is. :rolleyes:

What I need is a sound proof box around her when we go driving... :laugh:

Last edited:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/sound/Kicker_tweeter_03.jpg

these are pretty dank for cb's, you'll have to make your own terminal, but it's a low freq and a high freq, so you'll get a good quality sound, i use this speaker mounted under the dash, works great for me. if you wanted you could use that grill too, to look nice and oemish. or you could probably find a metal grill at radioshack if you want a more boring looking one.

Even for a photochop it looks really good... ALMOST makes me want to get a OH console.

Ok, so it sounds like I can just use a 8ohm speaker and terminate the speaker wire on a 3.5mm plug.

I'll give it a shot, what's the worst that can happen?

Yup all you need is the speaker, some wire, and the end. 8 ohm, if thats what it states on the back of the CB radio. and depending on what the radio output is, RMS wattage probably doesnt exceed a few watts. mabye 5?Not much room above those consoles, ill bet the magnet on the speaker tries to stick to the roof. Thatll help hold it in place.You can get grills all over the place. A lot of times the local car stereo places have little grills laying around from installs where the customer wanted an oem look.
Thats a sharp idea too.

Wallymander said:
Not much room above those consoles, ill bet the magnet on the speaker tries to stick to the roof. Thatll help hold it in place.

You know, I didn't think of that! My damn console definatly isn't that secure.

Back