• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing new keyless transmitter need assistance with wiring. '89 Laredo

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a third party remote to get rid of the crappy stock keyless entry on my '89 Laredo.

Here's the third party remote:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/RC-10/search/KEYCHAIN_REMOTE_CONTROL_.html

I disconnected my stock transmitter/receiver and four wires are exposed.

Pink
Tan
Green
Black
Picture10.png

On the third party transmitter/receiver it has four wires:

Red = 12 Volt In
White = 12 Volt Out
Black = Ground
Black = Ground

Here's a wiring schematic from the '88 not '89 manual.

Picture8.png

On the new hand remote there are two buttons - Lock and Unlock.

I'm not too clear on both 12 Volt (IN or OUT) wires...which wires do they get hooked up to?

Also do I connect both Black grounds to the same ground?

Thanks for all your help.

Best,

John V.

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but what you bought won't work. It is an on/off switch not a keyless entry. You could hook it up to a relay and either lock OR unlock your doors, but not both. If you are looking for a good, inexpensive keyless entry, try this one:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001393/p-2001393/N-111+10201+600000494/c-10101

I have had one in my '86 BMW for about 5 years and it works great. (still the original battery). The instructions are good and there is a tech website available for wiring assistance. By the way, if you follow those wires from the old module, you will find that they go down to behind the passanger side kick panel to a pair of relays (one to lock-green wire, one to unlock- tan wire). It is easier to wire the keyless entry system there then to try to go up to the old location.
Good Luck!

>I hate to be the one to tell you this, but what you bought won't work. It is an on/off switch not a keyless entry.

Dang....You are right!

>You could hook it up to a relay and either lock OR unlock your doors, but not both

Well neither. The remote has an ON and OFF button. When ON, it’s continually on, the circuit is closed....and of course when OFF it’s completely off. It doesn’t have that short burst – quick on and off - that is necessary to open or close the locks. Damn I spent hours trying to work it out.

Thanks for the additional wiring info and I’ll give the jcwhitney remote a try.

John V.

Just saw you comments in the other thread.

Before you buy the JCW one, you'd better check on the cost of a second remote. If it costs enough, it might be cheaper to buy one that has 2 remotes to begin with. I got an Audiovox one from AZ that came with 2 remotes. On eBay the remotes alone cost $20-30.

Thanks! One remote was my concern too at JCW. JCW does have a couple of kits with two remotes in the $50.00 range.

I'll check locally before I buy online though...it's easier to return.

Thanks again Saudade and misterBill3!

Back