• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmisson question:

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinkng about getting a 1990 with a busted transmission which only has 1st 2nd and 5th gears in hopefully the ax-15 transmission. It has a backup tranny that comes with it which is a whole other story.

I would have to drive the thing 180 miles back home.....could I do it with only those three gears?

I don't know much about manuals (or really automatics) but I need a firm input on this. I think it might work.

Aisin AX15 Gear Ratios
First Gear 3.83
Second Gear 2.33
Third Gear 1.44
Fourth Gear 1.00
Fifth Gear 0.79
Reverse 4.22

Will 1 2 and 5 work?

Thanks guys--Alex

well your gonna be doing it in 2nd the whole way 5th is a dog even with 3rd and 4th to get there. can it be done yes, but if you can tow it thats what id do

It might just give up the ghost halfway home. You might get stranded in an inconvient place. You should at least have somone with a tow bar follow you in case it breaks, otherwise it might get expensive or even dangerous.

3rd and 4th share a shift rail and fork. I'm thinking maybe a broken shift fork which could mean loose parts floating around. I vote for renting a car dolly and towing it home, even if it's to save the frustration and burning up the clutch trying to slip it into 5th.

X2, tow it.

Can I tow an Xj with 5.2L ZJ? I've towed my 200lb boat with it, but never a dollied vehicle. A dollie is no problem but I just wanted to be able to drive the thing. Damn. I really appreciate all the input guys.

When I do get it home could I possibly run it with just 1 and 2 around town and to class? I'll check out what rearend gear it has. It's a 2wd 4cyl 5spd so i would figure 3.07's. I've heard 60 in 2nd, but doesnt seem right.

Should be able to tow it...may not be fun though. I have done a few flat tows pulling a kaiser m-715(I know way heavie) w/ my 88 but we made it.

It's a 2wd 4cyl 5spd so i would figure 3.07's.
==============================
The sticky say 411. If all is as it came from the factory.

I've heard 60 in 2nd, but doesnt seem right.
=====================
YES! for about 2 minutes.
Then 0

FYI the 4 banger came with the AX5. If all is as it came from the factory.

Tow it. By the way with a 4 banger and five speed. sadly you will be getting the dreaded AX5 tranny not an ax15. But they {tranny} are an easy build. Hal :scared:

copper204 said:
Tow it. By the way with a 4 banger and five speed. sadly you will be getting the dreaded AX5 tranny not an ax15. But they {tranny} are an easy build. Hal :scared:

Rebuild cost will depend on what's broken. He did mention that it comes with a spare tranny. Depending on the age of that, it might be worth it to put a bearing/brass kit in it before installing. Of course, don't use GL5 gear oil as it slowly eats the synchros and shifts like crap. Redline MTL worked fantastic for me.

Is a manual transmission hard to rebuild in general. I just stroked a motor so I'm no mechanical retard, but I am gonna be at college and wont have the best tools like here at home. I would like to get it and rebuild the good one before I swap it in due to the unknown condition. I know rebuilds get spendy, but since this is a 2nd vehicle and I have a back up I'd like to try to fix some more difficult things if I can.

Back