• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help indexing distributor on stroker

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
I have the holes in the rotor and casing lined up, but I cant get the ears to line up with the bolt hole and I think as a result its not starting. It lands usually 1/4 inch one way or the other. I know the rotor needs to be at 5 o'clock, but do the distributor ears need to be right at the bolt hole so that the cam position sensor is read correctly? I read on Dyno's page that you shouldnt need to cut the ears unless you have an aftermarket camshaft. I do have an aftermarket cam, so should I start destroying my distributor? Any help is appreciated!

You already have the crank at 0* at the end of the compression stroke and when you put the dizzy in, the rotor is just past #1 terminal? Cutting the ears if you didn't need to is no big deal, so don't be scared.

once I had mine in the ears were just off, So I twisted the housing to line it up. 0 problems after. The computer can correct for the twist, as long as the rotor is pointing correctly.

If you get it set just right above and slide it down while holding the casing strait into its spot and twist the rotor so it lines up you can do it and have it be close enough. A lot of people get confused and think that they are 1 tooth off, on a cherokee that would amount to about 15-20deg. the rotor should be just past #1 when the engine is TDC compression

I tried it having to twist the dist casing both clockwise and counterclockwise. The engine finally ran when I had to twist it counterclockwise. The rotor was pointing more toward 6 though. I wanted to avoid cutting the ears because I dont have a die cutter with me.

Back