• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear diff hot enough to cook on

mooncounter

NAXJA Forum User
'90 XJ 4.0

Had a bearing in my Dana 35c shred itself so I went to the wrecker and replaced entire diff contents from a '91 XJ.

Donor parts are all in nice shape.
Cleaned out axle tubes and diff with a fine toothbrush and reassembled.

Went for a drive... no noises, nice tight drive except...

put in clutch and feels like brakes engage and the diff becomes smokin' hot!

What did I screw up?

(....my axles are made of cheese)

see if its in the pinion,axle bearing or the spideys! there are plenty old jeeps in these parts with better rear axles, or you can transplant a ford rear end.

my tie rod is nicknamed the butter bar

mooncounter said:
I'd like to find a dana 44....but I couldn't wait...I'm in a rush to go fishin'

Dam! I just got rid of two good 3:55 complete rears, one had new brakes and e cables, would have been like fifty freight to kelowna, So you basically gutted your original and put everything out of a donor?

will it spin freely by hand?

the entire rear cover is hottt.
the brake drums were not hot.

could smell gear oil cooking from 20 feet away

I gotta go out....But will check back in the morning if anyone has had this happen...

My 93 ZJ absolutley shredded the spider gears a few weeks ago. I was tempted to just throw another set of spiders in there, but the oil and other bearings were full of ground up metal. I just grabbed an entire axle at the JY for $60 and swapped it in. I think it was less effort and cheaper than replacing all the bearings, reshimming, etc.

Did you re-set up the gears or just install and pray? Check the tooth pattern?

Looking at the old axle after it was out, and its bent.

Back