• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating problem

9501XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

I have a stock 95 XJ that I Had to replace the radiator in. since then it has been overheating, almost hitting redline when climbing a hill I have to travel everyday to get home. The temp gauge never went past 210-212 or so even with the a/c on but now with the a/c off and both fans, aux fan and the mechanical fan it keeps getting hot. have replaced upper and lower hoses and clamps, water pump, coolant temp sensor for computer, temp sensor for gauge, radiator cap, fan clutch, overflow tank. took it to the mechanic and they did a block test. said it has a blown head gasket and that's why it is overheating. WELL after replacing the head gasket and giving me the jeep back I gave it a test drive down to the freeway and back up the hill I would normaly travel, still overheats. They have had it now for 4 days and can't seem to find the problem. any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Danny

Did you replace the thermostat?

What mix of coolant/water are you using?

What radiator did you swap to?

Yes, replaced the stat, coolant is 50/50 but did run all water for a day of testing and still got hot. new radiator is a 3 core all steel. The mechanic swaped out my new rad with a stock 2 core alum with plastic end tanks and it made no difference.

Th only thing i could guess then is maybe a bad guage?

Sounds like you've covered all the bases pretty well.

What temp Tstat. You may want to check this (thermometer and boiling water) since they are only batch tested. If you run 195 deg, try 180. Mine runs quite cool (too cool) with a 180 deg...

3 core all steel
high flow tstat 180
high flow tstat housing
water pump
fan clutch
all new hoses
new belt
new cap
50/50 radiator fluid
efan works
temp sensor

Runs 210/212 until I drive 65 to 80 mph then goes to 225 ambient temperature must be in the mid to upper 90's, otherwise it runs around 212.
If I turn off the AC the temp drops down to about 215/216 even at 80 mph. Turn AC back on temp climbs to 225 and stops.
Really pisses me off.

huh... i run:

Open cooling conversion
Pacifico Bottle overflow tank
CSF 3 Row HD Radiator
10 blade S-fab (wired to a switch in the cab)
Stock fan clutch
Stock Hoses
Stock water pump
195* T-stat
50/50 Mix

and i never go above 210.

I have the same system as sw, except for i run a Hesco Hi-flow pump. I think the open conversion is the way to go. How'd the tstat check out?

Back