• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding reverse lights on stock bumper?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up some driving lights from Harbor Freight and my hopes were to make them reverse lights (if all else fails I'll make them replace the fog lights for wheeling, until I get a roof rack). After checking every varrious place to put the lights I've desided the best place to put them is inside my bumpers (I dont mind drilling). But the trick is how to I cut out a slot for the lights without cutting the edge? I could cut the edge out, but I think if I did that then the bumper wouldnt hold the light up very well.

Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about.

2788692742_f8758dea29.jpg

2788692902_536de72ae6.jpg

2787839179_8f8b32e3fe.jpg

So does anyone know of a tool I could use to cut this block out? I suppose I could drill the 4 corners out and then use a sawzall to cut the lines, but...ehhh...there must be something else I could do?

:read:

~Scott
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2787839179_8f8b32e3fe.jpg

4.5" Grinder with a cut-off wheel

a dremel with a cut-off wheel

plasma cutter

sawzall

Hmm I didn't even think of a dremel! Thanks!

I'll give that a shot.

Jigsaw? You gonna cut the end caps too? Do they need to be that far outboard? You could always angle them outward if you're worried about FOV.

kujito said:
What happened here?
squish.jpg

EDIT: oh my exhaust? I landed on 2 different rocks and my dynomax exhaust tip slammed into my hitch, making a funny shape...oh well.

And as for the end caps...their gone now, so I dont care. This is a temporary thing (like a year) till I get an aftermarket rear bumper.

And no they dont have to be that far out...infact I should probably move them in a bit so I dont have to extent the wire the links the two together.

~Scott

swbooking said:
4.5" Grinder with a cut-off wheel

a dremel with a cut-off wheel

plasma cutter

sawzall

The only thing I would add would be an Die Grinder with a 2" or 3" cut-off wheel. Regardless, I would suggest drilling the 4 corners. If your accurate with your drilling, it would no doubt turn out the cleanest (IMO).

Good luck with those lights! I had the same ones as rock lights and they only lasted a single trip through the rubicon! I suspect that location will take much less abuse than a rocklight, so I expect they will do OK.

HTeK said:
The only thing I would add would be an Die Grinder with a 2" or 3" cut-off wheel. Regardless, I would suggest drilling the 4 corners. If your accurate with your drilling, it would no doubt turn out the cleanest (IMO).

Good luck with those lights! I had the same ones as rock lights and they only lasted a single trip through the rubicon! I suspect that location will take much less abuse than a rocklight, so I expect they will do OK.

Ya I'm not too worried about the lights, since they were so cheap. If they break then I'll just save up money for some good lights and use the wiring I'll have already set-up.

l_38773b67807fc57a0757ad2077072e29.jpg

I mean this is my rig as she sits today...so I wont be doing anything TOO crazy. (JCR sliders primed and painted today, going on tomorrow, and centerline hellcat wheels going on monday).

~Scott

Muddy Beast said:
oh my exhaust? I landed on 2 different rocks and my dynomax exhaust tip slammed into my hitch, making a funny shape...oh well.
It's not a funny shape, it's custom fit to your hitch.

Edit:Makes Jeeps faster

Wow very nice polar jeep!

That is exactly what I want to do!
Glad it looks halways decent.

~Scott

it was very easy and its alot brighter over the stock lights. I just measured out where I wanted them, marked it with a marker, cut the hole, drilled a hole on the bottom, bolted them in, and wired the to the stock r-lights

I took my Hella 500s and drilled the hatch to accept them. This works wonderfully because 1. The Hellas are crappy lights. 2. I have Thor quarters, and theses cover where the reverse lens would be otherwise.

Yep, just do what Polar Jeep did. You can make them look very clean and they will be way brighter than the stock ones.

If you have access to a welder you should box the ends of the bumper with some 1/8" plate to keep it from getting crushed so easily.

fubar XJ said:
Yep, just do what Polar Jeep did. You can make them look very clean and they will be way brighter than the stock ones.

If you have access to a welder you should box the ends of the bumper with some 1/8" plate to keep it from getting crushed so easily.

No welder here...so I'll just have to remember I can't back-up into trees anymore.:shhh:

I started making the cuts last night but my 10 year old dremel died.
~Scott

I started thinking about this exact same idea yesterday! i was out smoking looking at the rear bumper. son of a bitch. hahaha

Back