• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks for 3.5 inch lift

j-nut

NAXJA Forum User
just installed rustys 3.5 inch leaf springs on my 95, no other rear suspension mods. i had about 3.5 inches lift with bastards packs. my passenger side main leaf broken, so i decided to buy actual lift springs. when i did the passenger side everything lined up fine, but on the driverside the shock is about an inch and a half short even after i lift the xj by the axle off the jack stand. i've decided to go with new rear shocks and i'm leaning towards the rancho rs5000. eventually i want to go to 4.5 to 5 inches of lift. will 4.5 shocks work or would i be better off buying shocks now, and then again when i go higher, could be a year or 2.

The leaf packs will settle after time. I can assure you it's more than 3.5" right now. Probably around 5" or so since the leaf packs are brand new and not broken in.

i know that, what i was wondering is will a shock for a say 4.5inch lift fit. or will the body of the shock be too long and bottom out too easy once the packs settle.

Make sure you get some extended bumpstops if you plan to run extra length shocks then you should be fine or maybe look into the Daystar EVS bumpstops.

Back