• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do i need the rear sway bar?

housemaster0630

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99' cherokee limited with a 2" old man emu light load lift

i have been hearing that the cherokee doesnt need the rear sway bar and some cherokees didnt even come with one

but are the old man emu light load leaf springs too flexable to take off the sway bar?

or am i all set to get rid of it

depends on what you gonna use your rig for. your right though, some didn't have 'em. the country models for one didn't come with one. i left mine on until i went from a 3 inch lift to 5. some guys swear by them though if they use thier rig as a dd and tow stuff on pavement. this is something u can only answer yourself. you want more body roll and tire droop in the back? my opinion is to chuck it. I should have not left mine on for so long.

good luck!

Cipey

i can't speak for the ome springs since i've never used them, but i have had 2 xj's lifted 3 to 3.5 inches each and on both i ran no sway bars. most people never believe me when i say there are no sway bars. the rear bar is so small it doesn't do much for the xj anyways. if you look around you'll find that most most guys toss their rear bars when they lift them. the only thing i'd be careful of is if you decide to take it out and then tow with the xj, a swaying trailer will be much more noticable. my advice is to remove the sway bar and drive it. if you feel you want it, it is easy enough to reinstall.

Cipey said:
d the country models for one didn't come with one.
Cipey
Yes they did.

I think the "UP" Country's didn't have them. I have a Country and I took it off FWIW. I like it without it. I unhooked my front once and drove a windy road just to see what it was like.

Scary. That's what it was like...lol.

I have 3" or so lift, BTW.

Leave it home unless you tow, and something heavy. Totally useless. I run NO swaybars, ever, and i'm on a 4.5 lift. Handles fine, but admitedly when i'm loaded full for camping I have to watch the turns a bit more, but nothing serious.

Take it off, sell it lol. :)

Steve_Moore said:
think the "UP" Country's

I

Your right my bad....take away my membership card!!!:gee:

you know steve, i was thinking up country originally...and after i wrote ot, i realized the tinted windows i took off a country in my yard did have one.

oh well...not my first mistake..

Cipey

My 98 Up Country did NOT have a rear sway bar from the factory.

get rid of it, sell it to someone on another forum that thinks they need it. fwiw, i run no swaybars ever either. it's a jeep, not a subaru. remember that and you'll be ok.

i have a 4.5" rc lift and i run now sway bars what so ever doesnt sway that bad on the road at all. even with towing doesnt do bad

My ex-government XJ has the rear sway bar. I am not ditching it as I do tow and carry crap....

It may handle okay without one seeming as I have driven my buddies 95 and it handles wonderfully without one...

Back