• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 XJ A/C ELIMINATOR

SANDTRIBE

NAXJA Forum User
I HAVE A 1989 XJ STRAIGHT 6 4.0 AND I WANT TO GET THE AC UNIT OUT AND PUT IN A BRACKET WITH A PULLY DOES ANYONE KNOW WERE I CAN GET IT...??

No one has ever done it before. I dont think it even came like that from the factory. Sounds like an advanced project that will require hours of fabrication.

Get a idler pully off of a Renix XJ without AC. Check the junk yard.

Remove your AC compressor and modify the bracket to accomodate the alternator. My friend did this on his 96, had to go to the junkyard and get an older style AC bracket from a wagoneer. But you should already have this style bracket considering yours is an 89.

Then just get a shorter belt. I think 74" is what he got. It was a $40 belt which is about double the cost of a normal belt considering the length was custom and not vehicle specific.

You have the only 4.0 to ever commonly come from the factory with a/c delete. 80/90 XJs came with a factory a/c delete. It's a bracket & idler pulley that replaces the compresser & bracket. It uses the same belt as the a/c cars.There are different ways of resolving your problem but that is the way it's done from the factory. Run an advanced search, this has been covered many times in detail.You should be able to find the factory setup at a wrecking yard or thru someone parting an 87/90 XJ. Moving the alternator requires fabrication but it's worth while. There is a current thread on this topic.

Back