• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

San Juan Mountains wildflower report

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
I guess I have been going too early in the summer to see mass quantities of bloomers... this year I went twice. The first trip over Fourth of July there were a few flowers. The next one was in the middle of August, a month and a half made a huge difference in the display!

Imogene Basin:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

We were overwhelmed by traffic going in and out of Yankee Boy Basin during the holiday weekend, this trip we went up to Governer Basin and Sydney Basin. The flowers were the best of this whole trip and there was no traffic! It probably helps that the road to Governer is rougher than Yankee Boy, the road to Sydney is even more so, is narrow and has a definate tilt to the "view" side.

Ramparts above Governer Basin:
orig.jpg

The Mountaintop Mine
orig.jpg

Sydney Basin
orig.jpg

An incredible density of blooming wildflowers here! Too bad the clouds rolled in.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The road down from Sydney Basin gives you a great view of Twin Falls, the Yankee Boy Road and the traffic it attracts.
orig.jpg

The scene out your passenger window will take your breath away for one reason or another.
orig.jpg

Enjoy!

Great shots as usual, Alex.
I'm planning a trip back to the San Juans in 09, and based on this post I will be heading over in the middle of Aug, instead of the end of July as previously planned.

Putting Governor and Sydney on my list of trails........

Wow those are some great pics. Beautiful out there. I really need to get out that side of the country.

XJEEPER said:
Great shots as usual, Alex.
I'm planning a trip back to the San Juans in 09, and based on this post I will be heading over in the middle of Aug, instead of the end of July as previously planned.

Putting Governor and Sydney on my list of trails........
Later in the summer means more trails will be open, too. On Fourth of July, 2008, Black Bear, Governor and Sydney were all still closed by snow per firsthand experience.

Beautiful pics.

What kind of camera are you using?

We were there the last weekend in July until the first week in Aug and noticed a huge decline that week in wildflowers. I thought it was about the end of the season but they must have got a second wind or something.

Wow, Alex. What a difference from when we saw you on Imogene a first part of july! Great pix!

Great pics Alex! I love that place!

We went the first of August and the wildflowers were amazing.

Wow that is some of the most gorgeous land I have ever seen. I wish i had more time to explore our country before I deploy. I'll be going to the Smokey Mountains in November for a week, but it's not even half as great as looking as that!

Back