• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Equus 3130 Scan tool Opinions?

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about buying a Equus 3130 for my 1996 Jeep.

It reads OBD II and shows realtime data and records and uploads to computers as well as reading and clearing codes. I can get one for about $160. Anyone got any scan tools that they like better or have any other suggestions ? ? ?

Do you really need the computer interface? Just about any OBDII scanner will do the basic stuff for the Jeep, so if all you need is to read codes and erase them, you might do better with one of the less expensive ones, like the Actrons that Sears sells. But of course if you want to monitor stuff on the fly and keep records, you'll need more, so I'd say go ahead if you think it's worthwhile.

I'm constantly running into intermittent sensor problems on vehicles that cause them to run crappy but do not throw a code all the time. The realtime data is huge when it comes to diagnosing some things. I'd love to go the cheap route but sometimes you gotta lay down some cash and get something nice. The computer interface doesn't do much for me It's the live data thing that is what I am after. The computer thing is just a bonus.

Last edited:
There's the 3140 model that also does OBDI and has a bunch of adapters including the 91-95 XJs. For about $40 more you could become quite the popular guy. ;)

Yeah it's more lile a 70$ bump in price from the cheapest deals I can find. I'm not sure I can justify the additional cost I don't own any OBD 1 vehicles and I don't think the OBD 1 supports live data.

ARBOGASTER said:
That's cool but not gonna do me too much good diagnosing all my buddies problems with their vehicles.

Why, it just plugs into your OBDII port under the dash, you can unplug it and move it from vehicle to vehicle.

My buddy picked up a Scangauge II a while back, and while we haven't needed it for codes, it's a very neat little device. All sorts of feedback in real time, although they have not yet incorporated datalogging (at least they hadn't a few months back when I was checking them out). Should I ever get a reader, I'm thinking that's what I'll get.

RichP said:
Why, it just plugs into your OBDII port under the dash, you can unplug it and move it from vehicle to vehicle.

Well If I hard mount it into my car it's probably going to be a pain to remove it and then put it back cuz I'm not going to want the wire flopping around I'd want it hidden and clean looking which would make it a pain to move around. Don't get me wrong it's a cool gadget but I like data logging and other capabilities of the 3130 as opposed to the other machine . . .at least for my use anyway.

hubs97xj said:
It's not a hard mount, unless you consider Velcro hard.

I have not seen one in person to look at, is the cable from the obdII plug to the back of the scan gauge detachable, IOW, could you get two cables to move the thing from one vehicle to another.

Yeah, it's got (going from beer-fueled memory) what looks like an RJ type port in it (several of them actually- one on the side, and one on the back, and maybe another) so that you can get creative with your mounting and cable routing.

Just realized you were from the Indy area. You probably wheel in the badlands / Attica or whatever that place is. My Scantool is already in the mail. If you are nice and quit trying to talk me out of the one I bought I might help you scan diagnose some problems on your Jeep if you ever get in a pinch. It's all good guys but I already made my decision.

THANKS ! !

Back