• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding noise

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i just installed my 3.5" RE lift and went for a test drive. I began feeling and hearing a quick grinding noise from under the drivers side seat. i replaced the front u joints and took a look at my driveline and other u joints but nothing seemed wrong. so i thought that maybe i over tightened the shackle bolts on the leaf springs and they were binding.

Does anyone have any idea of what this noise could possibly be?

hi there

well , I had the same problem in my XJ, the bolts on the rear shackle were too long and were rubbing into the bumper brcket area, they were very loud, first I spray wd40 in joints to see if the noise will go away , then I realizwd that they were too long and have to grind then down,,,

good luck

Germa996

i dont think it is the shackles because they are the stock ones and i dont think they will rub.

Most likely u-joints/slip yoke.You have a 97+ which almost always causes driveshaft issues,might want to start saving for a SYE kit!

what about a transfer case drop kit to help out the rear driveline angle?

i took my rear sway bar out but the front sway bar is still on. i only hear the sound when i lightly push the throttle and when i let go of it. i am starting to think that the driveline is at too steep of an angle.

anyone know where i can get a quality yet cheap transfer case drop kit at?

for a cheap tc drop i used two pieces of 1x1.5x6 pieces of steel bar drilled two 1/2" holes at 4 9/16 apart and tapped the crossmember mounting bolts to 7/16 and put in longer bolts, i learned of the 7/16 bolt from here, u will have to use the double nut routine to remove the one stud, since i had the material and the bolts it was free hth

i just ordered a cheap spacer tcase drop kit so hopefully that will help

yeah that is definitely what that noise is. i was hearing the same exact noise (only when pushing on the gas and letting off) when i installed the RE3.5" on my 2001. i got a tcase drop and it helped a lot..i now have an SYE that's been sitting in the garage for the past half a year waiting to go on. haha. i'll get around to it sometime.

thanks for the assurance. i will update when i install the kit.

Back