• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do I do for fender flares after cutting fenders?

LockdUpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just cut my fenders on my Jeep and don't want to buy some flares that I'm going to just wreck next time I go out wheeling. what does everyone else use for front and rear and can you post pics? I searched forums and saw Hennamanns fenders and other fiberglass ones but again don't want something that I can only use in a parking lot.

Several options:
1. Stock XJ flares re-located upwards to match your cut out.
2. Stock YJ or TJ flares, they have additional coverage than the stock XJ flares and hold up very well to tree's and narrow trees.
3. Comanche flares I believe are larger than XJ flares.
4. Custom Steel tube bent to fit.

Michael

WheelinJR said:

shouldn't you be selling him your ungodly wide fenders?... that I'm thinking of ordering.

I like the tube fenders im thinking. they will put up with any tree and I think they look better than the all the wrangler fenders on an XJ. Where can I get/ have them done?

LockdUpXJ said:
I like the tube fenders im thinking. they will put up with any tree and I think they look better than the all the wrangler fenders on an XJ. Where can I get/ have them done?

I asked around about tube fenders last week. Those Guys Rod & Custom quoted me $750-850.

I cut out quite a bit
104_0577.jpg

and I used mj rear flares and they worked great. $20 for the set at u-pull it.
104_0581.jpg

I went the TJ flare route. Takes a few hours to properly trim them to fit and look nice, but they look pretty sweet and are very functional when done right. For the front, you just measure and trim the fwd edge to match your bumper, for the rear you cut them a bit aft of the middle at a slight angle and mount them half on the rear door, half on the fender. I used sheet metal screws sealed with silicone to mount them. I've smacked them numerous times on trees, only cracked one of the rears, which I've temporarily "fixed" by cleaning the inside thoroughly and duct-taping the crack together.

I got mine used at a local Jeep boneyard for about $25 each, way cheaper than Bushwackers and more durable by all accounts. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I'll eventually be going for Rusty's flexible flares. They cost a pretty penny, but I like the riveted on look and they seem pretty durable. I don't mind the flareless and trimmed look, but I'm tired of cleaning all kinds of mud and sand out of my interior when I wheel with the doors off.

look at gorilla warflares, found some on a bronco site, saw some the other day, they look awesome, and very flexible. about 260 for a full set.

I am in the process of installing TJ flares on my XJ. So far, so good. They look kinda funny from the front but they're growing on me. I had to cut ALOT of sheet metal.

The first time I tried to just trace the flare by holding it up to the fender. Doing that around all the other stuff I had going on took me 2 afternoons of head scratching, cutting, fitting, cutting, grinding, figuring etc. The driver's side I made a template out of cardboard, taped, traced and cut. Fit right in there, had it installed and bolted up in 20 minutes.

The rear presented a couple different problems, the main one being that I had to cut the outer half of the wheel well out. After scratching my head for a couple hours I decided to just rebuild the whole wheel well tub. Screwed it in, sealed it up and stuffed it full of insulation. Works good, looks even better.

I will post up some pics of the procedure.

I used 4 rear TJ flares . the rear I cut the bumper ends to match the flares so it looks almost like it did before anything was done . The front I cut the front off part way down the bumper ends . The rear half of the rears that gets mounted on the quater panel ,I cut about 2 " off where it meets the front half at the door so it is not quite as long of an opening as a TJ but looks almost OE compare to a lot of the butcher TJ installs I have seen . I have 33s and could easily fit 35s with a RE SF 3.5"

Back