• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator relocation...fabricating brackets

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well today i pulled out the air compressor, and anything that had to do with air conditioning. there was a write up by rubix-xj about moving the alternator using the stock bracketry, so i figured perfect. ill go give it a try. well im not seeing any way at all the the stock alternator brackets are going to work up top, so im guessing im going to have to build my own brackets. anybody got any shots of how they did it?

thanks

And see people, this is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of an appropriate Mod_Tech 'picture request'.

As it happens, you aren't the only one looking for that setup, let me know what you find. :)

well it appears ive got a different bracket for my ac compressor. ive got 4 holes that run vertically, so ive got no way of making the stock alt bracket work.

guess i have to get creative

wishihad1 said:
well it appears ive got a different bracket for my ac compressor. ive got 4 holes that run vertically, so ive got no way of making the stock alt bracket work.

guess i have to get creative

I didn't look at the link, but if you've got 4 vertical bolts you have a HO. The Renix models have 2 horizontal bolts. I've read the easiest way to do this mod is with an "on top" alternator bracket from a model without AC. I've seen a couple in the jy and IIRC they were also 2.5 engines. If you go that route, you also have to do some mods to the pulley system and get a shorter belt.

If your AC compressor still works, you could always leave the alternator where it is and turn the compressor into OBA.

Back