• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found some kind of GM axle in the junkyard...

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I was in the JY today and I found a GM axle with no other identification. I know it wasn't a 14b, it had drum brakes, didn't have ABS, and may have been a 10 or 12 bolt. Would doing a 10/12b swap be worth it? What kind of locker options do they have? I'm running 33's and MAY go up to 35's but that's the upper limit. Right now I have the 30/8.25 combo.

With such an assortment of axles, in the JK, why would you want to spend money on some oddball set up? Get a 44, 9 inch, or a 60.

Last edited:
5 lug spring over, I figured I could get it for a whole lot less time and effort than a JK 44. If I put in a front 44 it'll be a JK though. What's the locker selection like for these though?

While others have compared 10bolts to D44s... I think it is a waste of time and money to drop coin into that axle (10bolt).
A 12bolt would be ok, but there isn't the kinda of support as there is for a D44, D60, 14B, etc.
If you are serious about swaping axles, take the advice above and go with the "more common" setup. They are common for a reason.

Just my input... take it as you want.

I'm definitely listening, but I'm only 16 and there's the cost issue, considering my income is not quite as plentiful as someone with one of those "jobs." I'm working on getting a job as a mechanic, but that's for a different thread.

The only real deciding factor on the axle is locker choices. If I can buy a selectable, it's going home with me, and if I can buy an automatic, I'll probably snag it too.

Yeah, methinks I'm going to leave it. I haven't seen much in the way of lockers, and they're all way more than I'm willing to spend on this axle. Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

RCman said:
While others have compared 10bolts to D44s... I think it is a waste of time and money to drop coin into that axle (10bolt).

Shit, I've never seen anyone go that far in comparing... The 10 bolt is more like a Dana 35. I used to talk customers with blown-up 10bolts into hitting the salvage yards for a 12 bolt and bringing it back for a rebuild. We wouldn't warranty 10bolts. ;)

haha ok, we'll change that to a definitely going to leave it. I just found a Dana 300 with currie twin sticks and a 4:1 on it for $275. It's definitely time to start looking for parts to handle that, unless I'm somehow wrong that that's a complete steal?

you still need a flip kit and an adapter to mate it to your transmission. How do you know it is any good? 9 times out of 10 if something looks too good in a pick and pull it is.

XJ98Jeep said:
I'm definitely listening, but I'm only 16 and there's the cost issue, considering my income is not quite as plentiful as someone with one of those "jobs." I'm working on getting a job as a mechanic, but that's for a different thread.
Being 16 I think you'd have a lot more disposable income than you'd think.
I'm in my last year of college and on a SUPER tight budget... but I manage... somehow.

XJ98Jeep said:
The only real deciding factor on the axle is locker choices. If I can buy a selectable, it's going home with me, and if I can buy an automatic, I'll probably snag it too.
Eh, I still don't agree with that.

ECKSJAY said:
Shit, I've never seen anyone go that far in comparing... The 10 bolt is more like a Dana 35. I used to talk customers with blown-up 10bolts into hitting the salvage yards for a 12 bolt and bringing it back for a rebuild. We wouldn't warranty 10bolts. ;)

Its just what I've heard on various GM boards, wasn't really my comparison. Hence the "take it as you will" part.
Unfortunately that is the axle in the rear of my Silverado with the dreaded G80 "Gov-Lock"... I'm just waiting for the "pop" everytime I put the boots to it, which isn't often as I want it to last awhile, and if it does there is good reason for it. I'm hoping it'll last when I start towing my XJ. If not, I'll get a semi-floater 14b ('cause they are 6lug) or a bigger (2500 series) truck. It is however under warranty for quite awhile though...

Just out of curiousity is your jeep a 98?

If so you already have a 29-spline 8.25. Why change that for 35s or under?

It's a pretty stout axle and there are some lockers for it...someone else might know exactly what's available.

RCman said:
Being 16 I think you'd have a lot more disposable income than you'd think.
I'm in my last year of college and on a SUPER tight budget... but I manage... somehow.
I get $100 a month, pay for my own gas and drive 40 miles round trip to school at 11 MPG...

On the 300, the only thing I'm really worried about is the flip kit. I read some stuff about guys getting the adapter for like $75 and them being fairly easy to make. If I was to mate the 300 to my 231, would that be the equivalent of triple low becasue the 300 already has twin sticks? I definitely don't need that or want to do the reinforcing that would be necessary, but it certainly would be cool.

Edit: nevermind on the triple T-case idea, not really sure what I was thinking... Anyway, front and rear digs would be cool.

Last edited:
XJ98Jeep said:
I get $100 a month, pay for my own gas and drive 40 miles round trip to school at 11 MPG...

Then why are you even considering an axle swap, lockers, and/or a tcase upgrade?

Because had the axle/T-case been good to go I would've just saved up for them. I was more concerned with the T-case axle than I was with my budget, but now they're both a no-go. Thanks for the help though guys.

XJ98Jeep said:
I'm working on getting a job as a mechanic, but that's for a different thread.

I went to all of the autoparts stores in my area, and either they couldn't hire a 16 year old because corporate said so, or business was too slow. The restaurants wouldn't hire me because I can't get my liquor license. That's quite literally all that's within driving distance of where I live. And now that my wrestling team has started lifting I'm going to get out of wrestling at around 7 PM until february.

Back