• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ intake swap questions

Dark Knight

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and searched for info on this mod and I am having problems getting specific information. I have a 97 Cherokee that I am about to tear the top end out of and was thinking of upgrading the intake to one of the 99+ units. So here are my questions:

1. Besides the intake itself are there any other parts that I need to grab from the donor? (the junk yards here pick the parts for you so you got to make sure to ask for everything)
  2. Will my 97 fuel injectors work in the new intake?
  3. What are the parts that don't bolt on and need to be modified?
From what I have been able to gather from the thread over on mallcrawlin and a few other places, it would seem that my fuel injectors will work but that I might have to modify the fuel line bracket. But that is about all that I have been able to figure out.

Thanks for any info that you might be able to give me!

1 - nope
2 - yup, just make sure you clean em good and get a new set of o-rings
3 - you might just need to move a few vacuum lines around

just use the fuel rail from your 97, and the 97 injectors and you'll be fine. my 93 rail and 93 injectors fit fine into my 99 intake. if you have the cash, you might as well replace the exhaust manifold and motor mounts while you're down there.

Sweet, that is the info that I was looking for!!:thumbup:

And I do plan to replace the header too since mine has a nice hole in it. As for the motor mounts, those may have to wait a month. Since you bring it up though, can you crank the engine up with a jack and a 4x4 under the oil pan or should you use an engine hoist to unweight the inline beast?

Yeah, there are a ton of threads on this subject but I couldn't find any that answered my three questions. Maybe I missed one somewhere.:dunno:

x2 on what 93xj said--esp the new o-rings and swapping the header while you're down there. You also don't have to worry about the p/s pump mounting issues that pre-95 or 96 xjs encounter. Use this time to clean out the ports & valves w/ a bunch of carb cleaner and toothbrush.

Thanks for all the info. It will help a lot!!

KMK172008 said:
The APN Header has clearance issues with the 99 intake
I actually was looking at the APN header but I guess not. Can someone recommend a header that will fit this combo?

*EDIT* I might be able to get my hands on the new style of the Banks header. I know those are a royal pita to install but will they interfere with the 99 intake?

Last edited:
The interference isnt really an issue if you have a grinder and a hammer.
I installed mine with a Pacesetter header and had no clearance issue in the back, but I did have to notch the front of the manifold near the PSP mount webbing and the it was perfect. Pacesetter does have an issue with the fitment of the actual exhaust parts together tho, it takes some ingenuity.

Dark Knight said:
Thanks for all the info. It will help a lot!!

I actually was looking at the APN header but I guess not. Can someone recommend a header that will fit this combo?

*EDIT* I might be able to get my hands on the new style of the Banks header. I know those are a royal pita to install but will they interfere with the 99 intake?
I had no clearance issues at all when I installed my APN header an '99 intake.

Back