• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 question

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
So I have had my 97 XJ for 6 years now, bought it stock with 75,000 miles now she has 160,000 miles 3.5" RE lift 31" tires and many other goodies approx. $7,000 worth, its addicting haha but one thing I havent quite been able to have answered (yes I did a search) is I see many transmissions descriptions of vehicles refered to by their number of speeds and then Overdrive (if equiped) ex. 4 spd OD. Now I know that the AW4 in these has an OD but its always refered to as a 4-spd transmission. Is it 3 speeds with an OD or 4 speeds with an OD?

It is called the AW4, as it is truly a four speed tranny. In just about every auto tranny since the '80s, and most manuals since the 70's, the top one or more gears is overdrive. The fact that it is continually notated is mostly a marketing tool. I remember in the late '70s when the first American cars were starting to come through with OD. It was all the rage. The foreign makers had it earlier, but didn't make a big fuss. I think it was so the big hogs of the day could have the weak-ass engines, but put a 4:11 rear behind them for decent acceleration, and overdrive the top gear for gas mileage. A lower first gear and a more sensible final ratio would accomplish the same thing, but 'overdrive' seemed more high-tech. Just ask anyone that was familiar with the auto trannies of the late 70s or early 80s. Especially GM and Ford. They made transmission shops rich! Somehow the AW4s in our rigs seem to be, IMHO, about the finest autos made. Change the fluid regularly, maybe put on a cooler, and you will probably never have to deal with and issues. My '92 has over 200k, and still shifts as crisp as new.

AW4 = 4 speed transmission.

Ratios: 2.80, 1.53, 1.00, 0.75

So yes, fourth is a true overdrive ratio. If you want to think of it as a three speed with overdirive... Why not.

DougJ said:
AW4 = 4 speed transmission.

Ratios: 2.80, 1.53, 1.00, 0.75

So yes, fourth is a true overdrive ratio. If you want to think of it as a three speed with overdirive... Why not.

now that truely answered my question

Back