• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Defrost switch light/battery killer?

bloodtype_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Went to start the Jeep and the battery was dead. In the midst of getting it jumped I notice that when ever I turn on the overhead light via (twisting) the headlight switch, the light for the defrost switch also lights up. Double checked to make sure that the defrost is not on, it wasnt. Then I see that when I shut off the vehicle and close the doors the same light on the defrost switch lights up. As soon as the courtesy lights go out the damn defrost light comes on. Im pretty sure I would have noticed that before. Normally the only light that stays on after I lock it up is the blinking light from my deck. So for a temporary fix I pulled the fuse to the defrost light.
Im stumped. I just put a new Optima in last month and certainly wouldn't think that a little light would drain it within five to six hours. FYI, it's a 2000. Any help would be appreciated. TIA - Josh

This sounds like a ground or a short circuit problem or both. The courtesy lights are switched at the ground side. Somehow or other, it looks as if the courtesy light circuit is seeking ground through whatever circuit runs the defroster, or vice versa. If so, then it's possible that you're draining the battery not just through the defroster switch light but the defroster too. It's going to be tricky to trace.

Back