• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?'s about the front end..

sik4wheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently added a new 7.5" lift with other goodies. My main question since i put in and arb and upgraded the axles to 30sp. chromos do I need to change out the inner axle seals? I ran it for a few weeks and then the copper line got ate up by the ring gear and damaged the passenger side seal. Now the front end is back out again and over to shop for repairs. Also since I am up higher do I need to put the trackbar on top of the axle, and where do I get the mounting bracket. One more thing, whats recommended about the steering, b/c since I am higher I think it is going to start binding when drooping. Thanks. - Nick

well that much lift I suspect your running 40's? So you really should go hydro assist or full hydro.

naah

just get a drop pitman arm...

that'll take care of most of it...

:conceited

XJ_ranger said:
naah

just get a drop pitman arm...

that'll take care of most of it...

:conceited

Crap forgot all about that.. :thumbup:

My answer to the steering was a D-44 and High steer knuckles. someone else will need to adress D-30 flip kit etc.

replacing the inner seal is a short effort and should be done.

I used the Over the Axle bracket as a base to build off of for my track bar relocation. Nice piece, saved a lot of fab time. I think it was an ORG part. Used it to raise the track bar as well as move it aft for clearance for the ram.

Just say no to a drop pitman arm.

You should seriously look into 5-6" lift at most, it plenty for 35s and you'll have way way less issues, unless you got alot of $$

Does anyone have experience W/ rusty's over the knuckle steering mod. It looks sketchy to me, but if people have been using it and is dependable, strong and not sh*t i'll go for it. Also I was thinking about the WJ knuckle conversion or just drilling, adding heims and putting the draglink and tierod on top of the knuckle. What do you recommend. I am not planning on taking out the D30 b/c I recieved a new 30spl. arb w/ comp. for half the price. Plus it makes things a little more exciting.

Rock Krawler has a nice steering setup for big lifts, its pricey though.

I dont know what the axle tube seals have to do with the arb line being ate up, I would suspect that the tube was bent too clost to the ring gear when it was installed, when I installed my arb I made sure it was far away from all the gears. I suspect that it was installed carelessly or incorecty and two close to the ring gear.

drill knuckles 1 1/2 in tubing, quality heims...||charles||
43oimn6.jpg

sik4wheeler said:
Did you have to mess with anything elseafter doing your steering conversion? Does/did it interfere with anything? Is there a write up on your jeep.
heres my bs plans before constuc...if your serious on doing it yourself and have fab skills i well help you as best as i can...if your tools or skills are not so good i would advise to buy bolt on...||charles||
2ptx8a1.jpg

From the looks of it, it reminds me of Rustys over the knuckle. But on the pic of yur xj looks like a jcr type. Thanks for helping. I do have proper tool and skills, and I will also be doing this at a fab shop so what i dont have or cant do they can help me out. Also what type of bolts are you using to put through the heims to the knucles. Thank you.

Hey, thats pretty cool. Had I not just installed curries hd steering I would do the same. Question... do you still have the same turrning radius etc lock to lock?

ok the jcr is using the 1 ton tie rod under knuckle set up
2r6mtki.jpg
i drilled out and made inserts,heims are jmx10 5/8 holes grade 8 bolts
2m2w40i.jpg
and steering feels like theres a little more

Back