• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

line lock

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else not want to mess with the e-brake when changing to non stock axles or brakes? Going to disc on back and thinking of a line lock or antiroll kit. for the front. i have a 5 speed so i need somthing. what kit works, has anyone else tried this?

I run electric line locks front and rear. They draw a lot of power, good for short term brake (like when you are winching someone or parked on a hill) but not for actual parking.

A plus is you can plumb them in wherever its handy, vs mechanical line locks where you have to plumb them in line.

Line locks can loose pressure over time, eventually the brakes will unlock and the vehicle will then roll, usually at the worst possible time.

Also, check your local laws, Line Locks are illegal in some states....

on some models when the solenoid looses power it will revert to its open setting. So if it is on and it wears your battery down they could unlock.

They are meant to hold brake pressure for burnouts and for launch control,

I just put one of these on. I got a Biondo from the local speed shop. Install was very easy, it goes in between the front output of the master cyl and the proportioning valve. One thing that the instructions didn't say, when powered up it has a check valve function. So you can flip it on then repeatedly pump the brakes and it will hold the peak pressure. I think this is so if it's accidentally switched on while driving you will still have all four wheels braking, you just won't be able to speed up again.

It calls for a five amp fuse so it shouldn't be too hard on a battery when used as a hill holder. I don't think I'd leave a rig unattended with only a line lock holding it, though. Mine's for the original intended use, burnouts.

Line locks are great for locking the breaks, but are NOT a substitute for the E-Break. Note, the "E" stands for emergency...if you rupture a break line, the line lock will do NO good. For emergency, you want something mechanical...not hydraulic.

I know that E-breaks on XJ's are not the best, but if you're putting in a new axle, take the time to make the E-break work with the lever...you'll be thankful you did!

What T-case do you have? If you have a flange style output it isn't hard to fab up a t-case mounted parking break.

bringing up a older post as I was considering a line lock to replace an emergency brake....not anymore obviously. Does anyone have pictures of a transfer case mounted parking brake?
thanks

Back