• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice about these new shafts

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
I need a little advice about these brand new custom shafts made by a reputable shaft maker that I got from a pretty well known axle builder. My custom spider9 has been sitting at the axle builders shop for almost 2 months because he was waiting on these 35-spline shafts. They finally arrive and this is what one of them looks like:

IMG_5548.jpg

Now, I pretty much know nothing about shafts, and I'm pretty livid atm. So assuming I'm going to stress this axle and shafts for what they were made for, can anyone who knows what they are talking about tell me not to worry about this?

Thanks.

That sucks! i don't know alot about shafts but I would get my money back. If you got it for super cheap it might be a good spare. That makes me question the integrity of the whole shaft and the company that sold them to you. Good luck.:gee:

return them.

generally I would take the number of splines on the shaft (35) and remove two (left with 33) then remove 1/2 of the life left on them.

something small like that shouldn't mess it up too much, but there could be many tiny microfractures in that piece. it takes alot to chip metal like that...I've seen gouges, cuts, scratches, but that's the worst on a new piece by far.

It's not easy to tell from that picture, but it looks like those 2 damaged spots are past the area where the splines would be engaged. If that is the case, then it is just cosmetic. Usually the engagement is a little more than the diameter of the shaft. Slide them into your diff, and check how much of the spline is actually engage in the carrier. It doesn't look good, and it shouldn't have shown up like that, but it might be nothing.

the issue is not about if they engage that far down the shaft. Hardened axles have a tough but somewhat brittle crystal structure to them. For the spline to get hit hard enough to chip like that means that there is a chance there are micro fractures through the whole end. I bet it would spline up fine, the problem is that if that piece is outside the engaged area then when it breaks it is going to leave a stub in the diff.

brand new, send it back. It is probably an innocent mistake, but it is not worth the potential safety hazard and damage risk. Call first and be polite but forceful that this is unacceptable, tell them that then can have another set on the way immediately, or they can completely refund you to include shipping so that you can buy from a manufacturer that will ensure that you receive a quality product.

thanks guys

Spoke with the axle builder this morning. Turns out the big delay with my shafts was him trying to get the shaft maker (Dutchman) to correct the problem. I guess they were going back and forth and Dutchman assured him the splines shouldn't be a problem (as it is out of the engagement area) and were stilll warrantied. I would have been much happier over the last 4 weeks if he had just said what was up rather than only telling me he was having trouble getting the shafts.

The axle builder said he meant to tell me about the splines once he shipped it but forgot. He said he would order and new shaft at his cost if thats what I wanted, so he has placed the order. He also said I can use the bad shaft if necessary for some of my upcoming runs if needed. So he's pretty much gonna make everything right.

I would just say forget it, but I am concerned that it might create a weak point and while the shaft might be warrantied I doubt they will replace my detroit and anything esle if the shaft did just so happen to snap at the splines.

Thanks again for the advice

Back