• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 head replacement ?

Jeff in VA

<---respect
I'm rebuilding a 4.0 at the moment, and am getting conflicting info on replacing the head. Do you need to use a sealing compound on the head gasket on installation or is it supposed to go back together dry?

TIA,

Jeff

dry

I sprayed mine with the copper sealant, but that was more to get it to stay in place while I was lifting the head in. It is a spray sealant meant for head gaskets

Thanks y'all......the "drys" have it, which is what I thought was the case.

Jeff

I have done it both ways, but I guess I should also mention that the sealant advise came from an engine builder. Both dry and coated have gone for more then 20k miles

The last time I had to use any sort of sealer on a head gasket was on a 1943 IHC GI pickup truck - the "gasket" was a stamped steel shim that we reused (nothing wrong with it, after all.) The sealant was spray copper.

Modern head gaskets are usually composition - either single-layer or a "sandwich" setup - with sealer "printed" on them for the water passages and "fire rings" to seal the bores against compression/combustion. Adding sealer to that can actually interfere with head gasket sealing in the first place, so don't bother. I've heard mixed results if a sealer is added, but they tended more toward bad results than good.

If you have trouble holding everything in place, get a stick of 1/2"-13 threaded rod, cut off two bits about 4" long, and slot the ends. Thread into opposite corners, lay on the head gasket, lay on the head. Start some head screws, use a flat screwdriver to unscrew the threaded rod, and a magnet-on-a-stick small enough to go down the hole will pull them out for you. Throw the threaded rod in your toolbox for the next time you have to do the job on something else (I've got plenty of pairs of threaded rod - for just this very reason! Assorted sizes, inch and metric.)

I won't have any alignment problems, I'm not doing this in-vehicle. I'm working the rebuild on a nice little stand.......:)

reassembly.jpg

Shorty said:
just beware, you'll likely not get the head off once in the vehicle for any sort of repairs....

I actually prefer to pull the head first before I snatch the motor. When I put my stroker in I put the head on after it was in with the manifolds already on the head. It is not that hard at all to pull it...

Back