• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I get another xj?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So, here's is my question, I have a 90 XJ that I bought with 244k on it, and it now has 272k on it. It is 4.o, Command trac, AT. But I ran across a exact "sister" to my car, which is a '89 the same color, but only has 145k on it and the AC works, which my does not.

Is there much issue with a 89 vs a 90? I did notice the hose are strange going to the coolant tank, as they look to be a fitted hose without clamps.

They are asking $1000 for it, and it seems like a good deal, should I go for it? If so, sell the other one or keep it?

Thanks in advance..............

Just like a potato chip, one is never enough. We have three. But, the older one is a spare, as I wrecked it last year, and had to get another vehicle in a hurry. So of course, I got another XJ. Now I can take my time and re-do the old one. You get to a point where you can find a good one, or one with only minor issues. The '96 runs great, air works, not much rust. It's like you're buying a kit, or a collection of parts- it's gonna need work, you buy what you can handle. I've never had a RENIX (pre '91), and I like that I can use the code scanner on the '96. I say take a whack at it, if not too rusty. Take your time, fix it up, and when the time comes, take and fix up your first one. Of course, you'll never be done!!

I've got an 88, I'd jump on that deal with both feet and keep both. Sounds like those fitted hoses are the factory T pipe, and elbow fittings where the heater valve is. they came like that when new. Mine were like that till I got a new hose kit with separate pieces.

teamcherokee.com is where I bought the whole kit.. I have an order for door lock cylinders from over 10 days ago I need to find out why has never shipped before I recommend them though.

EDIT: I take that back... I'm sure they will sort it out. They are good.

Are the paint & interior decent? If they are fair or better, jump on it if you have the $$. I like the Renix rigs, I've bought two, both 95s to replace my clean, high milage 87 Laredo & didn't keep either one because the early one is so much nicer, better seats & more insulation mostly. Of course the D44 & the big brakes that come on it are nice too. Do either one of these have a 44? If all other things are equal, a Dana 44 is a tie breaker on which one to keep. I don't think milage is all that critical, but 145K is pretty low. Just an opinion from an XJ junkie.:patriot:

The xj's paint is decent and the interior is ok. One thing I forgot to check is to see if it had cruise control, but it did have power seats.

It also had a disconnect front axle, like my 90, which is a bit of a drag, but I use to it now.

My plan is to get all the fluids changed, and replace the hoses. Is there any difference in the water pumps? I changed it in my 90 when I did the radiator, but should it be a issue on the 89?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Enjoy

The water pumps are the same. There is nothing wrong with running a disco if you use a Posi-Loc or something similar. It's the vacuum servo that is the problem. Did you check for a D-44? It's the right vintage to have one.

yes. one can never have too many XJs. we have 3 maybe 4 in the near future

cherokee4fun said:
So, here's is my question, I have a 90 XJ that I bought with 244k on it, and it now has 272k on it. It is 4.o, Command trac, AT. But I ran across a exact "sister" to my car, which is a '89 the same color, but only has 145k on it and the AC works, which my does not.

Is there much issue with a 89 vs a 90? I did notice the hose are strange going to the coolant tank, as they look to be a fitted hose without clamps.

They are asking $1000 for it, and it seems like a good deal, should I go for it? If so, sell the other one or keep it?

Thanks in advance..............

89 and 90 are just about peas in a pod. The original hoses had crimped fittings rather than clamps. I'd get the nicer one and keep the old one for spares, especially if it's the same color; or if you have space and can afford to keep two on the road, build up the nicer one with whatever options you like, transfer any goodies you already have, and keep the old one as a beater. It's always handy to have something you can take to the dump, pile lumber on, etc. I keep my rusty old 95 as a go-to-work rolling tool box. Roof leaks, and various other things are wrong, which will never be fixed. Won't be cleaned out again until it goes to the crusher, either. But in the meantime, it takes some of the punishment I'd otherwise be giving to the newer one.

Back