• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

An exhaust ?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Got my exhaust installed today, but I'm not entirely comfortable that I don't have a hanger after the cat to help support the weight of the cat and muffler(the muffler is 12 lbs, cat is 6 lbs), and one else run this set up, any ideas?
DSC01433.jpg

i did on my old XJ...i just used the hanger that mounted in front of the gas tank...put the mount in the lower hole and welded a longer rod onto it and welded it to the pipe...worked like a charm

Badass muffler, but I would definitely get a hanger. And personally I wouldn't expect that fancy black paint to hang around too long.

But nice job.

^ That's what I've seen, too. Just a really long hanger welded to the 90* turndown that hooks into the rubber hanger aft of the axle.

Daedalus454 said:
^ That's what I've seen, too. Just a really long hanger welded to the 90* turndown that hooks into the rubber hanger aft of the axle.

x2

offroader461 said:
i did on my old XJ...i just used the hanger that mounted in front of the gas tank...put the mount in the lower hole and welded a longer rod onto it and welded it to the pipe...worked like a charm

I like that idea, I'll have to take a look and see what I can come up with.

Stallacrew said:
Badass muffler, but I would definitely get a hanger. And personally I wouldn't expect that fancy black paint to hang around too long.

But nice job.
I don't expect the paint to last either, I can smell the paint burning already, it came painted from Flowmaster, oh well.

XJEvan said:
So how does it sound? What cat is that?

I LOVE the sound at idle! Sounds like a F'in V8!:guitar:
The cat is a Magnaflow something like $75 shipped ($66 for the cat, $9 handling)from Summit, showed up at my door 24 hours after ordering it!:rof:

TheManch said:
i would defenitely support it with a hanger the more leverage you are putting on your exhaust the sooner you can end up with cracked headers.

mike
Thats the reason I'm worried about it, thats a lot of weight to be just hanging out there.

Thats the setup I had with a temp coat hanger rigged to the rear hanger point. But I took it to the exhaust shop to have a real hanger installed and he said he couldnt mount a hanger back to the stock location as the angle would be too extreme and the rubber wouldnt work properly. So I put a tailpipe back on it. Very depressed with the sound with the tailpipe after hearing the rumble of the turndown. Guess now I have to do some searching to find a exhaust tip that will bring back some of the rumble without looking stupid.

Who makes the muffler? Model?

That wouldn't stress the header because there is a hanger right after the downpipe. can't you weld a piece of metal on the muffler and then weld it to the frame? That would work.

It's a Flowmaster Super44 off-road, thats a 14 gage diamond plate body, don't really have to worry about crushing it on the rocks.

Though I think I'm going to run it back over the axle. Where it's at now causes a LOT of reverberations in the interior, especially since I don't have carpet. It's really bad on the interstate, to the point it's hard to carry on a conversation.

Given our litigious society I'm surprised a shop would set up an illegal turn-down like that. Its certainly not safe. CO aside that is a lot of heat to concentrate under the vehicle. A few weeks ago a local burned his jeep to the ground due to the heat of an improperly setup rear-end.

Safety > Reliability > Performance > Aesthetics (sound). Jeep-on

You're gonna hate that turndown. I had mine like that with just a turbo muffler:

HPIM0862.jpg

I went back a week later and had a tailipipe ran out the back. When I get home tomorrow I'll snap a pic of the completed exhaust and the hangers.

Back