• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door quarter panel cut?

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have used the searchf unction and found plenty of info on cutting the rear quarters on the 4 door xj. i was hoping to find some info on cutting the 2 door quarter panel. when i mean cuting i dont mean an inch i am talking 3 plus inches. something like the how to fit 40's on a yj article in JP.

I'm not 100% sure about this because I have four door and I'm not sure what you are asking for but behind the rear wheel(the rear quarter) the two door and the four door should be the same and you should have no problem following a write up that used the four door. If you are talking about cutting the wheel wells for more tire clearance, the two door would still have the pinch seam to deal with. If you are willing to cut past the pinch seam, you should be able cut the fenders larger because you don't have the back doors to deal with. If you do cut past the pinch seams, you are going to have to make new inner fender wells and all that jazz.

Maybe somebody with some experience on two doors could chime in.

Chris

Ive done the tuck for the quarter panels. Thats the same as doing it on a 4 door.

Ive also done the cut and reweld. Little bit different then a 4 door, but not that hard.
093.jpg

Here's mine - if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm. All of my mods are done for the "non-welding" type, mainly since I don't have access to a welder yet.....

100_2153.jpg

100_2152.jpg

Did the rear wheel wells also - about 2-3" or so trimmed off. For the pinch welds I kept them intact and made small 1" cuts upwards by the welds and just folded the metal up.
100_2151.jpg

jeepnleo said:
thanks for the info guys.
starboard m did you make new inner fender wells? do you have any more photos
The inner fender is two pieces. The outer one just curves down a bit, so I simply made it flush with the other one.

IM002333.jpg

The plan was to cut along the lines, but I realized I didnt have to make that many cuts, although I still did to many.

Insideboggerwelds.jpg

Please forgive the poor welding. It was my first time really welding anything, and I wasnt able to prep the metal, so booger welds ensued.

I got about 4'' of clearance past the cut and fold method that I had before.

edit: That last pic apparently got resized at some point. Opps. Let me know if you want any other pics.

100_2151.jpg

Keep cutting metal/weight out of the back, and that stinger's gunna pull you right over on your nose!:wierd:

Back