• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any tips on pulling door to fix wiring?

troy

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like I'm going to have to pull my driver's door to fix broken wires that are making my power windows inoperable. Any tips? Will I have alignment problems trying to get the door back on?

Any help is appreciated.

Troy

If you are talking about actually taking the entire door off -- don't. I am sure others will offer their thoughts but all you have to remove is the interior panel.

yeah...

remove interior panel

reach in
disconnect wires from accessories
splice them back together.

if you need them more out in the open, pull the wire tube that goes from the door to the body, then take disconnect everything and pull the wires all through the tube.

but, as stated, don't remove the entire door for this project. that, would be a pointless endeavor

You don't have to pull the door. You don't even have to take the door panel off unless that's where your problem is.

Use a flathead screwdriver to release the rubber boot/sleeve between the door and the A-pillar so that you can see the wires and the molded rubber body plug around the wiring bundle that seals the A-pillar. Then use your flathead screwdriver to pry the rubber body plug off the A-pillar. Then remove the kick panel, disconnect the necessary wiring connectors, and pull the bundle through the A-pillar.

ehall said:
You don't have to pull the door. You don't even have to take the door panel off unless that's where your problem is.

Use a flathead screwdriver to release the rubber boot/sleeve between the door and the A-pillar so that you can see the wires and the molded rubber body plug around the wiring bundle that seals the A-pillar. Then use your flathead screwdriver to pry the rubber body plug off the A-pillar. Then remove the kick panel, disconnect the necessary wiring connectors, and pull the bundle through the A-pillar.

yes, you DO have to pull the door panel off to do that. how the heck do you think you're gonna disconnect the window motor and door actuator (lock) motor from the wiring, if you don't reach in there and unclip the clip?!!!1

jeepcomj said:
yes, you DO have to pull the door panel off to do that. how the heck do you think you're gonna disconnect the window motor and door actuator (lock) motor from the wiring, if you don't reach in there and unclip the clip?!!!1

last time I did it on my old grand cherokee, and the time after that I did it on my Buddies 97 cherokee we did not undo the door panel. If the problem is that the wiring is ban in the bend, we just pulled the boot back and soldered the spot then heat shrinked it.

I doubt that's the likely case...the wiring in the tube has almost no reason to go bad, there aren't much for wear points in there

jeepcomj said:
I doubt that's the likely case...the wiring in the tube has almost no reason to go bad, there aren't much for wear points in there

in both cases the wiring had not worn out. The repeated action of the door opening and closing had flexed it back and forth till it broke in the sheath.

The windows went through a slow period of working sometimes and not others, then just stopped working. Slid the boot out of the way and ran a fingernail along the wire till I could feel the break. Then i just snipped it there, stripped it, soldered it, heat shrinked it, and slid the rubber boot back.

May not work for his problem, but from where I have seen the wiring fail it has been in the door jamb. I did not read his initial problem too closely though.

I'm confident it is a break in the wire from use. It has 205K on it and I have to wiggle the door back and forth until I find a spot that will allow the passenger windows to go up.

I did the child safety lock bypass a while back,

Thanks for the tips, I'm glad I asked before attempting to take the door off.

Back