• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Stabilizer limits turning radius (Rancho)

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my steering stabilizer on my Jeep because the factory unit was leaking...I work at PartSource (The equivalent would be advanced auto, autozone etc. in the States) - Any part number should cross over just fine if ya got one :)

For w.e reason there is no part number listing on the 96 model year, I figured everything would be the same from at least 91 to 2001 so I grabbed a stabilizer that was supposed to fit a 95. It bolts to the OEM mounts and everything but the unit is far too long and limits my right turning radius!

I work at 12 and plan on exchanging this unit but was wondering if anybody knew the correct part number for my model year? This really shocked me. I will check the the later years and see if there is a difference,

This is a Rancho unit, part number RS5401
I have access to Keystone from home and it is coming across with the same number

I was looking at my buddies TJ last night, he has a BDS stabilizer however the length is the same as my OEM unit, his is just fatter. I'm looking into TJ units right now for any differences,

Unfortunately I am kind of stuck with Rancho, so anyone running one with some insight would be great.

I'm running a Rancho on my 96(I took it off my 94) and haven't noticed that it was the limiting factor in turning(the 255/60s probably are).

when mine first went i wanted to upgrade to the rancho and when i got home realized that the body of it was about 1.5" longer than the OEM one. i took it back and got another HD one. i think it's like a TRQ or something like that. works just the same. the rancho wouldn't let me turn all the way to the right because the cylinder was already compressed all the way.

ECKSJAY said:
Which other mods have you done to your rig? Suspension, control arms, trackbar, etc...

how high? adjustable tracbar installed and axle centrered? I'm at 5" with a rancho on my 89 and it's fine

I used to run a Rancho on my 90 and I never had any problems.

That was with 33s at around 4" of lift, stock steering and RE trac bar.

Turns out the listing at work was completely wrong (for OEM equivilent), everyone here said to buy the 4501, turns out I ended up with the 4504 which has the larger body and bottoms out lol!

Bought a TJ unit instead, 4507 and it came in a bling bling sliver

All is good now :)

J-Roc said:
Turns out the listing at work was completely wrong (for OEM equivilent), everyone here said to buy the 4501, turns out I ended up with the 4504 which has the larger body and bottoms out lol!

Bought a TJ unit instead, 4507 and it came in a bling bling sliver

All is good now :)

Well yeah, 5404 is completely wrong. ;) RS5401 is the way to go but the 5407 will work. :) IIRC< the 5407 was originally listed as the replacement for the XJ. For a few years I had 5401 written in my book. :D:D:D

Back