• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the Jp world with questions....

southern_n_crunkk5

NAXJA Forum User
hey whats going on yall? i'm new to the jp world and wondering a few things.. i just traded a few of my scouts for a decently modified mj
one.jpg

two.jpg

i guess what im asking is......anything i should know about the MJ's?

pretty near anything you'd like to know, or should know, or will want to know in the future can be found here.

as long as you take the time to search (search button upper right side of page) and do the research, if you have more questions after that they will be answered too.

nice looking MJ.

What year and engine?

very nice rig.

naxja is a good place for information from the cab forward since they share components with the cherokee from there on up...but head over to http://comancheclub.com/forums as well and we can offer support for anything you need.

awesome winch...I would remove all of it and stash it, it's worth a grand or more, and replace it with a heavy duty front bumper and very nice warn winch.

:peace: Traded an MJ for a Scout? Now you have a rig that you can find parts for!! Good move. Aren't you gonna miss all that rust though? I hope you managed to save a pair of D44s because you're going to be hooked on XJ/MJs. If you had multiple cornbinders you are the kind of guy that will have multiple Jeeps. I bought my first Cherokee for my dd. I was always a full size 4x4 guy, but needed to save gas. Now I'm hooked, I keep buying $400 beater XJs for projects. Fortunately people keep buying them from me, but I still need a dedicated trail rig. I keep thrashing my nice 87 Laredo because my big Ford truck won't fit on real trails when I wheel with my son in his XJ. Be warned XJ/MJs are addictive.Welcome to the world of easy to find parts & reliability.

Ghost said:
What year and engine?

1989 Jeep Comanche Longbed 4.0 inline 6
NO RUST!
Has 104,xxx original miles, does not smoke, leak or use oil
Has a 4.5" rough country lift done 1.5 months ago...
Home brew rear bumper with 2" receiver and d-rings
Dana 30/35 axles
4x4 works great
6,000 lb. ramsey winch built into the front bumper with in cab controls
100w auxillary lights up front and cargo lights that light up the rear bed.
Dif guards front and rear.
Has a diamond plate aluminum cargo box in the bed..
Also have a camper shell for it.

i want to know more about the front unibody?
and why are these guys with decent size lifts swapping over to leaf sprung front?

oh and i still have a locked and disced 60 out of a scout with a matching locked front 44 might just throw them under the mj......any ideas?

do i need to invest in a SYE for the 231?
I have the transfer case drop, should it be installed immediately?

I would like to cage and flat bed been searching :scottm: and NAXJA for ideas but nothing i like anyone got pics?

and the last thing since im new to the whole jeep thing, what brand to go with? rustys i've heard sucks, is my rough country lift ok? any good companies to go with?

southern_n_crunkk5 said:
i want to know more about the front unibody?
and why are these guys with decent size lifts swapping over to leaf sprung front?

Stupidty!

oh and i still have a locked and disced 60 out of a scout with a matching locked front 44 might just throw them under the mj......any ideas?

do i need to invest in a SYE for the 231?
I have the transfer case drop, should it be installed immediately?

I would like to cage and flat bed been searching :scottm: and NAXJA for ideas but nothing i like anyone got pics?

and the last thing since im new to the whole jeep thing, what brand to go with? rustys i've heard sucks, is my rough country lift ok? any good companies to go with?

What transmission? Hopefully the auto. If not prepare for bad news. The 231 of that year willb efine up to about 6" of lift with no SYE in my experience with xj's. All lifts have pros and cons. Most will tell you Rubicon Express, but I rember when they were being doged so much on their own forums they shut them down. Personally I built my long arms and used alcan springs inthe rear with RE coils up front. If it is going to stay where it is then I'd say leave it alone. But if you want to go to anything bigger then say a 35" dont even mess withthe D44 its money wasted.

Ghost said:
What transmission? Hopefully the auto. If not prepare for bad news. The 231 of that year willb efine up to about 6" of lift with no SYE in my experience with xj's. All lifts have pros and cons. Most will tell you Rubicon Express, but I rember when they were being doged so much on their own forums they shut them down. Personally I built my long arms and used alcan springs inthe rear with RE coils up front. If it is going to stay where it is then I'd say leave it alone. But if you want to go to anything bigger then say a 35" dont even mess withthe D44 its money wasted.

the ax-15 i believe it is

D44 front is a waste on 35's? my room mate has run Tellico, Harlan, URE and countless others on a locked 30 front with chromos and 36's and never had a problem?

what about the x case drop?

Exactly if you want 35's run the 30 with chromo's IMHO. I have a D44 broke it twice b4 going to chromo's in it and I'm running 36's and dual tcases. If I were to start over it would be a rig with about 4.5" lift 35's and chromo axles. I would not use an 8.8 either. :wierd: It will only have an ax-15 if there was one swapped in. That year came with the puke goat. 5 speed. :tears: JMHO of course!

lift should be good if it is a recent RC lift. one of their salesmen is a member here, look for the rough country thread. only need the trans drop if you have vibes, and a slip yoke is always a good idea if you can.

Ghost said:
Exactly if you want 35's run the 30 with chromo's IMHO. I have a D44 broke it twice b4 going to chromo's in it and I'm running 36's and dual tcases. If I were to start over it would be a rig with about 4.5" lift 35's and chromo axles. I would not use an 8.8 either. :wierd: It will only have an ax-15 if there was one swapped in. That year came with the puke goat. 5 speed. :tears: JMHO of course!

puegot tranny right?

no 8.8? what about the chevy tons in my garage?

southern_n_crunkk5 said:
puegot tranny right?

no 8.8? what about the chevy tons in my garage?

Yea it is easy to identify will go together with bolts along the length like a clam shell. I hate 8.8's I use to own a ranger and have seen more trashed 8.8's then I care to rember! Tons are great as long as you put a decent size tire on them. Anything under 37 is a waste imho.

Ghost said:
Yea it is easy to identify will go together with bolts along the length like a clam shell. I hate 8.8's I use to own a ranger and have seen more trashed 8.8's then I care to rember! Tons are great as long as you put a decent size tire on them. Anything under 37 is a waste imho.

this aint my first rodeo bro....got some 44's at my disposal

never heard anything bad about the 8.8's i wasnt heading that way anyways......always been a fullsize guy so tons or rockwells are the only option

Back