• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 to '93 4.0L XJ Head Swap - Help

RebelofMetal

NAXJA Forum User
I have been pretty competent and haven't really been stuck on a problem till now - I am hoping someone can see the error in my way here:

I have a '87 XJ 4.0L Auto that is now perched on a sweet custom hybrid Lift.

Now, that old '87 had well over 400K and never left me stranded. It finally had a #2 Intake stick, and the head had to come off.

Rather than putting the "old" stuff on, I took a '93 Cyl head and installed it.

I also took the engine compartment, AKA Engine electrical harnesses, all sensors and injection components.

I swapped the terminals and splices at the bulkhead connector, and all the lights/chassis accessories/guages/etc, are properly functioning and all the smoke is still installed in the harnesses. All fuses are replaced and new, and I have verified the mechanical and electrical ability of all my relays. I have perfromed a lot of professional electrical work, so I am pretty confident it is OK. None of the computer control circuits are sent thru the bulkhead as the computer and control wiring are all contained in the engine harness.

Ok - to the problem - The engine cranks, no start - I have 3 handy things - 1) compression 2) Spark 3) Fuel entering the combustion chamber. I also know that the new timing chain is properly lined up, and that when I take the #1 SP out, the timing mark is lining up with the 0 at TDC, just as the distributor rotor is approching the #1 tower on the cap.

There is +12V at the Injectors, and the computer seems to be switching them to ground, as they do inject fuel and I see the noid light flicker when cranking.

The Ignition appears to throw a syncronized spark output to all the plugs.

I put a fresh set in, and after the crank, I pulled the plugs. The engine tred to start, but only "burped".

All plugs were clean and wet with fuel, except #3 who had been blackened from a detonation, but was wet with fuel, and #4 who had detonated and black, but was not wet.

After several cranking attempts, the results remained the same. No other plugs detonated, but they would all spark when tested outside the cylinder. #3 & #4 were occasionally detonating.

So, this is what I think is happening:

Someting in the crank signal is causing erronious computer control of spark timing/fuel injecting.

a) I would repl the crank sensor, but it appears to be giving a clean signal consistently. I am using the '93 sensor.

b) And what I am afraid of - but I cannot find the parts avail to verify:
That I need to install a Flex plate from a '93 because the '87 flywheel had a different signal pattern, aka Confused computer.

Does anyone know if "b" is true - or experienced this swap?? Or do you happen to know something I dont see? Please help!!!

Your flywheel year has to match your CPS year, which also has to match your distributor & computer year for the signal to be correct.

I put a 93 in my 89 renix system & only rewired a few 89 sensors & run it off my 89 electrical system. I didn't have to change any wiring over...

I had a similar problem a while back. It started when I made modifications building my stroker. The distributor ended up being the culprit. I had to cut off the "ears" that fix the orientation of the distributer so that it could rotate freely. In the stock location it was close enough to fire one or two cylinders, but then the computer would shut it down. It wasn't very much, just a couple of degrees past the mechanical limits the distributers ears allowed. It had me stumped for a loooong time.

Back