• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need local help (OAK HARBOR WA)

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i went through craigs list and i see a 1984 cherokee 2 door.
it has the chevy v-6 in it.

i took it for a test drive and the engine runs but when i pop the hood i see some things wrong like hoses not connected.

here is my major question though. when you put it in 4 lo it makes and odd noise as you drive. it buzzes or whines. any idea?

they are asking 800. i only have 500. i was thinking about seeing if he will take the offer.
but i was hoping someone local can come with me and take a look them selves.

jeepnleo said:
ok so i went through craigs list and i see a 1984 cherokee 2 door.
it has the chevy v-6 in it.

i took it for a test drive and the engine runs but when i pop the hood i see some things wrong like hoses not connected.

here is my major question though. when you put it in 4 lo it makes and odd noise as you drive. it buzzes or whines. any idea?

they are asking 800. i only have 500. i was thinking about seeing if he will take the offer.
but i was hoping someone local can come with me and take a look them selves.

That early V6 is not a good engine, and if the t case is making noise it will probably have to be rebuilt or replaced.

-Alex

My Jeep in 4 low makes noises and has a whine when I accelerate.

So far it's done well though...I don't know if it's supposed to do that, but it works.

~Scott

P.S. I have an '89 limited XJ.

Don't get a V6.
Look for a 4.0 I6.

Chain driven transfer cases don't usually whine as much as gear driven TC's but they do still have a whine to them that is usual. However, without hearing it ourselves we couldn't tell you if it sounds ok or not.

Michael

If you have base access, I'm pretty sure there is a blue xj for sale on the lemon lot, on the seaplane base. Not sure if its still there though, and not too sure about the price either. Welcome to Whidbey, and good luck with your cherokee hunting, just don't rush into buying anything you'll regret.

Last week 2 XJ's were on the lot.

We are going out tomorrow to look at this one he mentioned above, and I am NOT a jeep with V6 supporter, seen to many of them rattle for a few months and then spin a bearing or rod. Or crack a head, or I could just be very partial to the I6.

mac

ok so i dont like that it is a v6. i am wondering about the transfer case sound. it does have little minor things here and there i dont like. so if i dont get it i wont be upset.

the upside now.
i like that it is a 2 door. i like that it is running. it local. i like the color.

i have seen np231 for pretty cheap on e-bay and craigslist.
i have thought about engine swaps. i have 350v8 and th350 that i can use.

Mac and i will be looking at it tomorrow. the guy wants 800 i plan on offering 400 and going no higher then 500. Now if mac sways me away from it because it just isnt worth 400-500 then i will move on.

thanks for all the help and info.

I just wanted to start off by saying i put an offer out there and they didnt bite just yet.

MAC97XJ did what he could to tell me the good and the bad and tell them the good and the bad.
they were good people.

so now i am on the hunt agian or waiting for them to call me back.

thanks MAC97XJ

jeepnleo said:
I just wanted to start off by saying i put an offer out there and they didnt bite just yet.

MAC97XJ did what he could to tell me the good and the bad and tell them the good and the bad.
they were good people.

so now i am on the hunt agian or waiting for them to call me back.

thanks MAC97XJ

If I see anything I'll tell ya, I have seen an 87 floating around for 700 that has a D44 if thats not out of your price range

The XJ was not in bad shape, the engine did sound pretty solid, nothing sounding like a jackass in a tin barn. The t-case only made a noise when the linkage popped the t-case out of gear, I believe that the linkage could be adjusted. However I do not know if the t-case received any internal damage from being ran like that, meaning popping out of low on the internal gears.

Bone stock XJ, 2 door, stick, would make a DD with potential for a trail rig, I just do not trust that V6 engine as far as I could throw it, but I am always willing for an engine to prove me wrong.

Leo hit them with a price, something reasonable for the rig, if the V6 did take a hit, finding another engine and doing the swap would just add to the price of the rig, could he find a 2dr with the I6, yes, for the price he offered, maybe.

Not a problem Leo, if you need anything else you got my #.

mac

I sent him a link last night to a $600 88 two door that had a 4.0 in it. It runs and drives thats about all you can expect from anything in that price range.

if the v6 is in decent shape take it. I own one and personally, while it isnt the fastest it really isn't much worse than a 4cyl. And I know alot of people scream about how bad it is. My has been ran hard for two years now and has 175000 on the clock. It's no different than anyother engine, take care of it, and it will get you home! And the noise may not be the transfer case, there is a small chance that it may be the cv driveshaft in the front.

I am definately going to get flamed for this arent I:jester:

xj is mine

ok so he called back he is driving here now. he took my offer.

now to start the transition into a DD weekend trail rig.

i guess i will baby the v6 untill i can swap it with something

Back