• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swap questions

grizz78

NAXJA Forum User
Moderators, please feel free to move this if its in the wrong area

So I grenaded my Peugeot the other day in my ‘87 Laredo and for simplicity and $$$ sake I was going to swap it for another, but at $700-900 w/o any guaranty I started looking at other options.
I’m thinking of swapping in an AW4 and 231 from a ’92. I know I’ll need the following items;

Tranny cooler
Cooler lines
Flex plate
Tranny
Shifter
T-case
Mount
Tcu

I’ve heard on NAXJA that I’ll also need an automatics throttle body, I’ve searched but I can’t find a difference between a manual and auto TB. Any ideas, pics, suggestions

So what I’m asking is there anything else I might need to get short of a donor jeep? (They seem to be in short supply or WAY too much)

grizz78 said:
I think I might be good with my drive shafts. My friends ZJ has the same length shafts as I do and hers has an AW4/231 combo.

You will need drive shafts, they are different lengths on my old pew-got five speed and my AW4 XJ'S of the same year, transfercase, lift, and rear ends.
But on the bright side, the auto stuff is more plentifull and easier to find than stick.

Back