• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bumper question?

squirrel80

NAXJA Forum User
OK I'm trying to decide on what type of front bumper setup to run. I am considering the Protofab Rock Solid winch bumper and JCR Off Road Stage 4 My question is that does a winch bumper affect your approach angles enough to make a difference? I'm going to be running about 7" of lift and 35" tires. Or how many people prefer to use a reciever mount winch only when they need it. What are the drawbacks of a reciever winch mount? I like the idea of not having a winch in front of my grill blocking air flow, I am in Palm Springs where it is a 110 degress on a regular basis.

Protofabs bumper.
http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=27

JCR Offroad
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1XJFST4&Category_Code=XJB

Thanks for the input.

I personally dont like hitch mounted winches. Yes its nice to have them because you can take it off and put it on the back of the car if you want.. Just get a winch bumper that houses the winch inside the bumper, then get a low profile winch, that way it wont block your air flow. Something like this...
IMG_5060.jpg

As for approach angle, if you do the hitch mounted winch,your approach angle will be horrible. Like I said earlier, just get a winch bumper and call it a day. I have never even ran into things with my bumper yet. Its never got in the way.
IMG_4741-1.jpg

I like the proto fab bumper over the JCR bumper. The only thing about the proto fab bumper is, I see no tow points or shackle mounts??

Hope this helps in your decision.

rooneypower said:
I personally dont like hitch mounted winches. Yes its nice to have them because you can take it off and put it on the back of the car if you want.. Just get a winch bumper that houses the winch inside the bumper, then get a low profile winch, that way it wont block your air flow.

As for approach angle, if you do the hitch mounted winch,your approach angle will be horrible. Like I said earlier, just get a winch bumper and call it a day. I have never even ran into things with my bumper yet. Its never got in the way.

Hope this helps in your decision.

I was thinking of making a reciever mount off the cage behind the rear seat to hold the winch when I did not need it. Anti-theft and keeps it out of the elements until you need it. Thats just my thinking. That and I wanted to try out the new Warn Powerplant witch realy would block airflow.

I was going to say AJ's,but I dont think the "Powerplant" will fit most platforms.I know my budies didnt!
prod_slickrock03-lg.jpg

I've got the JCR winch with Prerunner, and I love the thing. Have not mounted a winch yet but I have not run into any aproach issues so far.
naxja2.jpg

Bumber isn't as tall as the factory so it helps make up for the extra depth.

naxja3.jpg

I have used it for recovery a couple times and everthing seems real solid. Long and short, couldn't be happier with it.

im running the protofab front bumper right now and i love it! never had a single approach issue. i have a winch on it and its been around 100 degrees here and i havent had any overheating issues. i do have 2 fans though.

Ba-Riedo said:
They are bulky, stick out far, wobble around quite a bit etc...

-Alex

...not real great for side pulling. I saw one that a guy built with a receiver on each end of the tray. Worked great. ;)

As for the Powerplant speculations, they're not only taller, they're about an inch and a half/two inches longer. Had to get the take-off for the compressor in line somewhere. IMHO, get a good winch and hook up with a good compressor you can put somewhere else. The Powerplant works well, but isn't worth the bulk.

I run a receiver mount winch. I really like the added approach angle I get when it's not there, the ability to use it on multiple vehicles including my trailer, and being able to run it on the rear.

myjeep.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Back