• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85XJ Help

XJGRAY85

NAXJA Forum User
My brother gave me a 85XJ Pioneer well like anything free there is always a catch. The 2.8 is shot so I'm going to do the 3.4 swap. Well here it gets interesting, the t-case np207 is shot also. The ax5 works fine, but i'm doing all of the other might as well do the whole deal. I have read just about every thread on the sight and I cant find what to do about transmision and t-case swap. what year willl swap with the 3.4, new bell housing or not. spline count if it matters. What should I do?

The AX5 or AX15 should bolt right up, as well as the apropriate t-case (NP207, IIRC).

As for the engine, the 3.4 is a good choice. The 4.3 will fit as well. Just be sure the get carbureted engine form an early 80's full size pickup or Astro.

You'll kill the ax-5 with a 3.4 if you decide to keep the FI, Find a dakota 2.5L/ax-15 bellhousing and swap a jeep ax-15/np231 combo from an 88-90 jeep, although the 3.4 FI setup might want a speed sensor, so you could go with a 91+ tranny and t-case if that happens. Also, you'll want the CPS slot that comes with the bellhousing.

and that should cover you!

EDIT: actually, the last part was sarcasm, there will be lots of wiring and figuring out how to do the fusebox fiasco... if you choose the FI route. If you don't want any hassle other than fuel pump stuff, then just keep the old system and swap in an 88-90 tranny/t-case combo with that dak bellhousing...

Last edited:
poorboy_616 said:
The AX5 or AX15 should bolt right up, as well as the apropriate t-case (NP207, IIRC).

As for the engine, the 3.4 is a good choice. The 4.3 will fit as well. Just be sure the get carbureted engine form an early 80's full size pickup or Astro.
Wrong the ax-15 has the amc bolt pattern and the ax-5 has the 60deg chevy bolt pattern. You will need the transmission and tcase out of a s-10 or something that runs the 3.1 or the 3.4. The 4.3 will work about as well as a 350. There is just as much work to put the 4.3 in as there is to put a 350 in. HTH.

I'm going with the 3.4 and a weber carb. FI is going to be alittle above my pay grade. I know the benefits of FI are great but to expensive to pay someone to do it for me. What year S-10 parts do I need to get?

Back