• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 limited slip question

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Went and picked up an 8.8 without a limited slip in it. Turns out to have a bent axleshaft and possibly bad bearings in the tube.
Looking at a 4:10 with limited slip and was wondering how a guy goes about welding up this diff.
My plan was to weld up the open carrier but now looking at the limited slip model I don't know much about them. I haven't had one to take the cover off and look.
Anyone have a picture of one or care to explain what a guy is to do about welding up this axle for a locker?
Thanks.

Kim

mini spools are cheap through jegs or summit...

Had one, sold it. Looking to lincoln lock this axle. Ever try to intall a spool on an 8.8? I seen it done and I choose to weld.:D

spool or mini spool? I think you still need to take the ring gear off but I am not too prevy on the 8.8 . I was under the impression that to do a mini spool you would need to just take the pinion shaft out and remove the spiders but I dont know well that is after you do the whole carrier removal so yeah I see what you mean ha ha

Friend installed a mini spool and had a hell of a time getting the c-clips back in. I found the info I was looking for. Found a good thread with a few pictures showing what the lsd looked like. I will be picking up the axle tomorrow and giving back the pos they sold me in the beginning. Time to break out the grinder and welder.:D

Kim

How well does this limited slip work? I was under the impression that they never seem to work once a tire is up in the air but i may have been misguided. I am looking to do this swap to save money in the long run. An 8.8 with a limited slip and 4.10's means i only need to buy gears and a locked for the front, not both axles.

The limited slip in these 8.8 axles are ok but not great. Good for the street but not very good off road. Never seen what one looks like until I found the pictures. I plan on welding up the spiders on this axle as the lsd won't be in the way.

Kim

just throw a real locker in and be done with it.

why not do it right the first time?

Sure!!! as long as you buy it for me!! I had bought a mini spool for another 8.8 project I had at one point and decided to go with the welder. That was with a four cylinder jeep and does great!!
For what this jeep does(which is a different jeep) and the build I have planned this 8.8 will get the welder for a locker also. No real locker needed in my opinion for what I do with this jeep. Aren't 8.8 axles unbreakable.:D

Kim

Back