• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LSD Additives....whats the best????

electric coolaid....

Sure you have limited slips? In the front?? If they're gear driven, they don't need additives...only the clutch types need the additives.

I used what came with the Auburn. One mechanic I know highly recommends the Ford friction modifier(especially the smell).

sprngfldxj said:
The front is Gear- didnt think it was necessary to share that info, but I do have a clutch in the rear.

Gear driven limited slips require no additives. clutch types need the friction modifier additive so that the gear oil doesn't make the clutches slip too much!! It's kinda like ATF...

mjma said:
Gear driven limited slips require no additives. clutch types need the friction modifier additive so that the gear oil doesn't make the clutches slip too much!! It's kinda like ATF...

Slip to much? have you driven one with no modifier in it? they make moise and shudder because they are binding up/catching/chaddering not because they are slipping too much.

Probably black lights, some hendrix and a little herb.

I ran the Ford friction modifier in an 8.8 and it worked OK.
I don't think its the best option if you have added clutches to your LSD. I had much less chatter with redline. My local advanced autoparts carrys the full line of redline which if you purchase 75W140, or 80W140 they already contain the friction modifiers. As stated before Royal Purple might be a good option also if it contains the friction modifiers. This stuff handles heat so much better than conventional gear oils.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=36&subCategoryID=15&categoryID=6

On my 94, I used the redline w/ the lsd additive and I still had to pour(smoke) the 4oz of the additive to stop the chattering.

you can run any synthetic gear oil and NO modifier. Do not though run any synthetic With a modifier. if you need to then something is Very odd.

That being said, basic autozone mobil one syn, If its hot in your area, thicker. If its cooler then thinner.

I would NOT spend more then 8$ pint for gear oil! thats a waste of money. You can always do valvoline cheaper syn, thats only like 5-6$ pint.

In any case run cheaper syn and change it more often. And Dont run higher dollar oil thinking you can go longer between changes. Its not that a axle needs new oil because it breaks down, its more for removing metal, water and contaminents, which is done by changing it. When your talking about a 4x4 thats actually used off road and expecially if in water / mud.

I have Never had a diff issue and I used change my diff oils every 3-4 times out (at about every 5-6000miles max). Now I change it every 2-3 trips (about 40-50 miles) because it never see's highway and its abused good and hard. Cheap insurance in my book...

ROBERTK said:
you can run any synthetic gear oil and NO modifier. Do not though run any synthetic With a modifier. if you need to then something is Very odd.
I call BS on this, try that in a dodge ram 1500 and tell me what it sounds like, or a WJ with Quadra drive.

75-140 synth and friction modifier

Was looking into this, but they only sold it in a 16oz can.
I ended up getting the "amsoil- sliplock" additive. got it in a 4oz bottle.
Hope it works!
The "Dryslide" looks like it would be a better deal if you had guys who would want to go in on with you and split a case. the salesman said that they would let it go for $11.00 a can in a case rather than $16.

https://www.russack.com/view_doc.php?view_doc=43&catname='Dri-Slide%20Limited%20Slip%20Differential%20Additive'&PHPSESSID=511c4f9b4ce83c9413996cfc32bcaf72

Back