• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Door Protection (Group Buy?)

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
Years ago now I built some lower door guards (they protect above the rocker on the lower section of door, mine are painted black in the following pic).
DSCN9853.jpg

More recently I built a second set for John's Jeep Project.
Since then several people have asked me about them and what I did.

So here is the information:
1. Super Systems Inc in Mt. Vernon WA is the company that I had bend the steel (two bends length wise to match the body). On my second set I had them provide the steel also and would recomend this again.

2. The detail of the work. Two pieces of 10 GA (1/8"?) Steel, 7" tall, 72" long each. Two bends 1 1/8" from top and 1 1/4" from bottom. I have a template that you can use to have them matched perfectly.

3. They charged me a total of $68.91 for the complete set including the steel, and the bends. If more sets were made at the same time it might (?) be less.

4. Once picked up they still need to be cut for each door (band saw works best), but other tools could be used (sawsall, cut off wheel, Chop saw, etc).
Then they need to be painted, then pre drilled for rivets, installed (either with rivets only or you can use a sealant between the steel and the door (I have done both).

5. If you have any trim (Laredo model has the plastic trim) in this area it obviously needs to be removed and cleaned before installing these panels. Also I have never made them for behind the rear wheel wells since I have trimed this area entirely and don't need them. I would guess that you could have these made longer to provide enough material for this area as well if you wanted (someone needs to verify that the bends would still work in this area). And if you still have your rockers then a piece of 10GA (2" tall) works great for this area if you want it to match.

My recommendation is that you guys put a "group buy" together and have 1 person order all of these in advance from Superior Systems with my template (will have to be done in person). I will work with whom ever is going to be in charge of the "group buy" and will provide them the contact info and name of who to work with.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Michael

I have the same thing only made by PMW and they retailed around 150-200 range if memory serves, this would be a heck of a deal for you guys that are looking for something like this,

the PMW ones occassionally pop up used online and the sellers still want 150+ for 'em because no one makes them anymore.

Joe if somebody can sell him new blue doors.

I'm down for a set.

Especially if its only $70 to outfit my whole rig. (well, except the rear quarter panel)

~Scott

Doyle said:
I have the same thing only made by PMW and they retailed around 150-200 range if memory serves, this would be a heck of a deal for you guys that are looking for something like this,

the PMW ones occassionally pop up used online and the sellers still want 150+ for 'em because no one makes them anymore.

This brings up a good point. I know that at least 2 or 3 different companies have made them or something similar. But I don't believe any of the ones that I have seen in the past are as think as this? Mine have been in contact with I don't know how many tree's and rocks and have NO bends or dents. I have lost the paint on parts of them repeatedly though.

Michael

Ba-Riedo said:
Alright ill give you a hand Keil. Talk to Michael and the let meknow whats up. We can roadtrip up north one day.

-Alex

Give me a ring when you do that!
Afterall, I already have a head start!

:yelclap:

~Scott

The company I work for supplies superior systems with their steel. I MAY be able to get it cheaper.. have them do the bending. I tell work what I want and its 10% above cost. I'll look into it tomorrow, and see if it would be worth it.

Back