• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want full list of all J-series?

Orson_Yancey

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, Can someone tell me where I can find the full list of what J-Series letter designation corresponds to which years and other model names of Jeeps?
For example, what is MJ,SJ, ZJ, XJ, TJ, WJ, WK, KJ, etc. etc.
I would like to know the common model names and years for each of the J-Series. Thank you. -Orson

Working on a timeline. I think the Google one (and the Wiki one) isn't quite compleat - I've been gathering data from various sources, and I just need to format it.

Working from your list:

MJ - Comanche mid-size pickup. Built on the same unibody as the XJ.
SJ - Full-size jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee. Box-on-frame construction.
ZJ - Grand Cherokee 1993-1998. Unibody construction
XJ - if you don't know this one, why are you here?:read: Mid-size unibody Cherokee/Wagoneer (Waggys have four headlamps, Cherokees have two. Principal difference, and primarily cosmetic)
TJ - Wrangler. Jeep "Universal" 1997-2007
WJ - Grand Cherokee, 1999-2006. SLA front end.
WK - Grand Cherokee, 2007+. IFS
KJ - Liberty.

Typically, if the code ends with a "K", then it's got IFS (wretched.) If it's a "J", it's SLA (Solid Live Axle) if 4WD. Note that there are 2WD variants of the XJ, MJ, ZJ, WJ, KJ, ... "Universal" is the box-on-frame compact utility truck, similar to what started the whole thing (MA/MB/GPW and CJ-series.)

As I mentioned, I'm working on a timeline, and just need to format the data and code it into HTML.

Ten High said:
don't forget "LJ", the long wheelbase TJ.

That the four-door version? Thing never did look right to me...

I didn't scratch out a compleat list (note the XK Commander isn't there either...) but just the listings that he'd had in his OP. My timeline/listing should be rather more compleat, when I get it done.

Hey - I can't help it! I'm digging all of this stuff up as I'm doing research anyhow, so I may as well do something with it all...

LJ is the long wheelbase TJ. I believe they ended production in 2006 and was replaced by the new 4 door version. Not to sure what they call it? JK maybe? Lets not forget about the YJ, the 87-95 square headlight wrangler.

5-90 said:
Typically, if the code ends with a "K", then it's got IFS (wretched.) If it's a "J", it's SLA (Solid Live Axle) if 4WD. Note that there are 2WD variants of the XJ, MJ, ZJ, WJ, KJ, ... "Universal" is the box-on-frame compact utility truck, similar to what started the whole thing (MA/MB/GPW and CJ-series.)

Not so sure about that. My '02 Liberty (RocknKJ) had IFS. I sold that beyotch after I beat it senseless on the trail to the mall.

rocknxj said:
Not so sure about that. My '02 Liberty (RocknKJ) had IFS. I sold that beyotch after I beat it senseless on the trail to the mall.

That's right - I'd forgotten that as well. Probably the exception there, but I think it applies properly to every other model going.

5-90 said:
That's right - I'd forgotten that as well. Probably the exception there, but I think it applies properly to every other model going.

The JK Wranglers have a SFA.

They went to K for all new models after the Daimler/Chrysler merger.

IslanderOffRoad said:
The JK Wranglers have a SFA.

They went to K for all new models after the Daimler/Chrysler merger.

That includes revisions, like the WK?

I guess it was just coincidence then that most of the "new models" coming forward were IFS (which seems silly to me. If you want "road handling," why for are you buying a truck?)

Technically speaking, there was no official "LJ". That's just what people started calling them.

Ask MJR. He gets all weird when he hears someone call it an "LJ". :D

5-90 said:
MJ - Comanche mid-size pickup. Built on the same unibody as the XJ.

Half right. Half credit. ;)

5-90 said:
XJ - if you don't know this one, why are you here?:read: Mid-size unibody Cherokee/Wagoneer (Waggys have four headlamps, Cherokees have two.

Some Waggys only had two headlights.

5-90 said:
That includes revisions, like the WK?

I guess it was just coincidence then that most of the "new models" coming forward were IFS (which seems silly to me. If you want "road handling," why for are you buying a truck?)

correct; just a coincidence. although Mercedes may have had something to do with the switch to more IFS.

the new Liberty is the KK and the new grand cherokee is the WK.

Solid front axles FTW!

Back