• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it safe to drive jeep with temp guage just under redline?

92xjsp

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed in several overheating-related threads that people describe what happens to their temp guage reading as it nears redline (260), and sometimes after. I've heard from somewhere that you really shouldn't drive with the temp much above 230-240 for any extended period of time, or you risk major engine problems. However, I don't remember where I heard that.

So what's the truth? Should you shut down the minute you start to overheat, and what temp level constitutes overheating (260 or 230)?

Also, a related question if anybody knows: what goes wrong with the engine when it begins to suffer damage from overheating? What's the first thing to go? Lifters and valves get mis-shapened? Piston seals go?

i drove about an hour on the freeway with it just below red. I got to where i was going and the coolant bottle was empty???? still dont know how that happened, its been 2 months and its still full from when i filled it back up.

i just made sure to stay in clean air on the freeway

all seems fine

Its really not good, Its over heating everthing...But when it gets into the red it starts to damage things. Sounds like you've got a clog. Def. get your cooling system serviced.

92xjsp said:
I've noticed in several overheating-related threads that people describe what happens to their temp guage reading as it nears redline (260), and sometimes after. I've heard from somewhere that you really shouldn't drive with the temp much above 230-240 for any extended period of time, or you risk major engine problems. However, I don't remember where I heard that.

So what's the truth? Should you shut down the minute you start to overheat, and what temp level constitutes overheating (260 or 230)?

Also, a related question if anybody knows: what goes wrong with the engine when it begins to suffer damage from overheating? What's the first thing to go? Lifters and valves get mis-shapened? Piston seals go?

Oil breaks down faster at higher temps. When oil breaks down, loses lubricating properties it does not lubricate as well. I'd say the overheating issue needs to be fixed IMHO.

When, under what conditions, is it overheating and why would you drive it anywhere near red line for any period of time??

Usually the first things to go are the head gasket and possibly a warped/cracked head and or cracked block.Thermostats do not like to be overheated.Even one overheat can do them in.

Last edited:
bearings can get pretty upset too.

I have driven for quite a bit on an overheating truck. It was a choice between getting home and walking for a long way. So I flipped the heater on full and stopped when it got too hot, let it cool down some, then went farther. I would prefer not to do it again, but it got me home. Changed the thermostat the next day and everything else checked out fine.

1991 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4wd.

I was on the way home from college to try to get home before my Grandmother died.

I eventually replaced the radiator and hoses, then serviced the transmission as well. Part of the problem was that it was foothills type terrain and the tranny kept shifting and locking/unlocking the converter which builds up a huge amount of heat. I got another 50k out of the motor before I eventually hydroed it and built a stroker.

wolfpackjeeper said:
bearings can get pretty upset too.

I have driven for quite a bit on an overheating truck. It was a choice between getting home and walking for a long way. So I flipped the heater on full and stopped when it got too hot, let it cool down some, then went farther. I would prefer not to do it again, but it got me home. Changed the thermostat the next day and everything else checked out fine.

exactly what i did. same situation too

wolfpackjeeper said:

Same here... 91 as well

I recently found out that the best way to cool the engine when on the freeway and overheating is to unplug the A\C compressor clutch and hit the defroster full blast, then open all of the windows including the wing windows! I suppose if the cruise control worked I might have put it on heat and found a new resting place for my feet. I hope you never have to try this yourself in the summer like I did!

you could try replacing the radiator. Turning the heat on is an emergency, get me home, trick. If you have to use it, consider it a sign that something needs to be replaced asap.

What will you do if/when your heater core clogs up?

Back