• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny temperature gauge

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I found a good deal on a temp gauge, but its a water temp gauge that has a 1" long probe.

My question is can I use a water temp gauge as a tranny temp gauge ?

You can get (from what I understand, and I plan to do it too) a water temp sensor, put it inline on the hot side of the tranny fluid. Run the wire up to the temp gauge and put a selector switch between the two. Flip it one way and you get water temp, the other gives you tranny temp.

There are other wires going to the Temp guage but you only have to put the switch to the one signal wire. This is pretty much it:

TEMP.jpg

--Alex

EDIT: that tranny temp sensor gets "T'ed" into the hot side line. Crappy drawing but you get the idea.

Assuming you have an automatic transmission. You need to get a Plumbing "T" from the hardware store, that the temp probe can fit into, then get two barb fittings that will fit your tranny cooler lines to go into the other side of the "T". Splice the device into the output line from the trans to the cooler, the hotter line.

If you have a manual trans, that a lot tougher, the best I can think is to remove the drain plug and drill/tap it to be able to screw the temp probe into it and re-install it.

Back