• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Up and Died - Suggestions

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 XJ just up and died on me today. I’m actually stuck at my parents’ house currently. Not a single issue with it until tonight.

We parked the Jeep and topped to visit for maybe 15 minutes. Then when we went to leave I turned the key and nothing. Just dead.

I checked all the fuses and they all are fine. Hooked up a battery charger and all I get is the starter clicking trying to turn over the motor. I’m not sure what to check. Suggestions please?

I had the same issue last summer... 1 thing to check would be to try starting it in neutral, with your foot on the brake... if that works, it's probably got something to do with your park and neutral safety switch... the second thing would be to take the battery out and have the local parts store test it for you... mine turned out to have a bad cell in it.. easy fix.... let me know if this helps...

I'm gonna head down to autozone and take my battery with me. Hopefully thats just the issue, but its bitter sweet. It would mean a dead Optima Yellow Top (5+ years old though).

scott00tj said:
My 99 XJ just up and died on me today. I’m actually stuck at my parents’ house currently. Not a single issue with it until tonight.

We parked the Jeep and topped to visit for maybe 15 minutes. Then when we went to leave I turned the key and nothing. Just dead.

I checked all the fuses and they all are fine. Hooked up a battery charger and all I get is the starter clicking trying to turn over the motor. I’m not sure what to check. Suggestions please?

Is the battery charger one that has enough current capacity to allow you to start from it? More than likely it is just a charger, and you'll need to leave it on the battery for 30 minutes, or so.

You may be in a situation where you battery was bad and not holding a good charge. It could be your alternator but I'm still using my original one at 133k miles.

If you try jump starting it, I bet it will start and run. I see in a later post you are taking the battery down to be checked. You probably have your answer by now.

My father in law had the same experience with his Optima. It just up and died, had two dead cells after about 4 years.

Judging that the solenoid clicks with a charger then that tells me the battery is dead or a cell anyway.

Mine did the same thing last week. Went out to start it: nothing. Jumped it: starter clicking. I found the battery was dying (6.4 Volts i think) so I replaced that. It still started rough so I replaced the starter (it was drawing 400 amps at first startup). Now it still starts rough...kinda. I have found the problem to be a pump check valve. I turn the key for about 5 seconds to let the fuel system prime and put pressure back in the lines then it starts like a charm. good luck.

Well the battery did test bad at AutoZone. I picked up a replacement and the XJ is rolling again.

I have never heard of a battery just up and quiting like that. I always thought they would died slowly and gave some kind of sign. Oh well, learn something new everyday.

scott00tj said:
Well the battery did test bad at AutoZone. I picked up a replacement and the XJ is rolling again.

I have never heard of a battery just up and quiting like that. I always thought they would died slowly and gave some kind of sign. Oh well, learn something new everyday.

I bet it didn't just quit. I bet it was marginal for a while. Just the right combination of events had it fail on you today. Extra hot today? High heat, or low cold will zap a battery.

Blaine B. said:
Who knows if those testors are honest? How is it in their best interest to tell you your battery is good, financially?

I was a little concerned of that myself, but I figured there isn't some big conspiracy going on down at AutoZone. I did ask if I installed the new battery and the issue wasn't corrected can I return the new battery and get my old one back. They said sure ans when I put in the new battery the problem went away so I trust the machine read correctllly.

Back