• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Transmission problem-Need Input

XJFever

NAXJA Forum User
I'll try and explain it the best way I can. I was driving back from an offroad trip on the highway maybe for about 50 miles or so, probably going about 70 the whole way. I came up to a stop light in town, and waited. As soon as it turned green, I stepped on the gas and got nothing but revs. I gave it a little bit more gas, and it started moving very slowly at about 2500 rpms. I pulled into a parking lot to try and figure out what just happened and noticed a couple things.

When I put it into Reverse, it worked normally. When I put it into 4WD, it had the same issue as I explained. When I put it into 4WD low, It seemed to work fine. Confused, I put it into 2WD again and put the tranny in 3rd gear. It still had the same issue. Then I slid the shifter down to 1-2 gears, and it seemed to work normally. Last thing I tried from there was to put it back to drive and it had the issue again.

So, what I ended up doing was putting it in 2WD and in 1st and 2nd gear, and try to get home from there. When I got on the main road, something felt like it jerked, so I put the tranny in Drive and it worked fine!

I went for a roadtrip a little less than that one and it got there fine. As soon as I stopped at a light and tried go at the green, I had the same problem. Since it happened before, I immediately slowed down, downshifted to 1st gear and gave it gas. Then I put it into Drive and it worked fine.

Sorry for all the writing but I'm trying to explain it the best way possible. Does this mean my tranny is going out? Axles? 4wd? Anyone ever heard of this happening? BTW, I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0 lt inline 6, dana 30 and chrysler 8.25, and the 231 transfer case.

had that similar problem in my 95 @ 145k. at first it was intermittent, but eventually i had to downshift into 1-2 every time i stopped in order to be able to accelerate "normally".

jeep dealer diagnosed a bad tranny. i sold it to a guy for cheap, who took it to another shop & confirmed it was the tranny. last i heard he ended up getting one at a junkyard for $300 and planned on doing the swap.

I don't know, I didn't find out what was actually mechanically wrong it.

Maybe try searching for 'hesitation' on here for others with similar issues.

Back