• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this filter kit fit a non-HO?

I think their data is all screwed up. 91 was the first year for HO and the TB was the same for 91 & 92. I don't know what year they moved the map sensor to the TB, but it was not in 92.

The pre 91 TB is different and the vac lines are also different. Not to mention the TPS changing as well as the TB controls.

Ask them what size tubing it's made for, and measure the outlet nipple on your airbox. If it matches up, you should be fine.

The principal reason they say things like that is because California (home of the Air Police) has to individually certify things like that. The process is rather onerous and an extra expense - so manufacturers only do it for something they're likely to sell, and sell for. Changing from OBD-I (1991-1995XJ) to OBD-II (1996-2001XJ) typically requires a recertification. Covering RENIX (1987-1990) as well? Another recert. That's three certs for one part, just to cover all years.

Since most RENIX rigs are coming on twenty years old - and most Californians don't even keep a car for ten, much less twenty - it's not worth it to them to get it certified for RENIX. Therefore, they don't.

It will likely work just fine with RENIX, it's just not going to pass Smog out here (fail the visual. Sniffer will be fine.) Things like that can and do fail you for periodic emissions inspection, and they have to say that to cover their end...

Back