• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another disk swap question

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
did some searching for my dana 44 and came up with this;
1. 90s solid axle crown vic. take everything attached to the backing plate.
2. doesn't say to get the E-brake cables. will they workon my 98?
3. the crown vic has the same bolt pattern? (didnt know that)
4. will i need fittings and such? or will my lines mount up?
5. part # 1-05083678AA, rubicon retainer plate.
6. i shouldnt need any prop valve mods should i?

never been to pull a part. but do they price all peices separate? if so what isall the partsnames that way i get a list of stuff and prices.

trying to get all the parts together that way it will be easy to do bearings and disk swap all at once.

thanks AJ

ok so recently finished the swap for the crown vic. It's a pain, you need to open up the roto to get it to fit the axle shaft. Then you need to redrill the bearing retainer plate. You will need to open up the shaft opening in the bracket as well. it will mount to the lines but you will need to tack a bolt to the axle to hold down the lines. It's lots of fun.

Ah, a subject I've recently researched and bought parts for. I hear the crown vic backing plates will bolt right up. I pulled a set of explorer plates and I have to elongate the holes by 1/16", there may be enough wiggle room that these bolt in. I've got an extra 44 sitting that I'll mock this up on. (thanks tom!) :)

So, anyway, the rubicon plates will work, but the bolt pattern doesn't match, so you have to redrill them. An easier solution is to do what I just did, and call up Teraflex and order the 86261 "Spacer Preload Jeep Early disc brake kit" preload spacers for 6.95 each plus shipping. This will allow you to use the stock retainer plates, and the spacers can be notched so you can slide them over your already installed bearings.

The stock backing plate for the drums is 1/8" or about .125" thick, the Explorer/Crown Vic brackets are .350" thick. The preload spacer is .225" thick, which is the difference between the disc/drum backing plate/bracket.

Now, here's some good info. Pages 91 and 92 of the Teraflex catalog give the measurements of the housing bolt pattern. The preload spacers are also pictured.

The other thing you'll need is a flexible brake line from the housing to the caliper. You can use 2 passenger rear lines for the 95-01 explorer with disc brakes. From the picture, it looks like it has a tab to bolt it on, so just weld a stud on the housing and bolt it.

The catalog is here:

http://www.teraflex.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalog/TeraFlex_2008_catalog_web.pdf

I'm doing my disc brake swap in the next week or so, and will document it.
Right now I have picked up explorer backing plates and calipers from the JY for 50 bucks. I also have a ZJ prop valve, but may go to an adjustable wilwood, we'll see. Having extra retainer plates and stuff helped, plus pulling the measurements out of the TF catalog helped. ZJ disc brakes fit newer stuff. The explorer/vic stuff is really close and will work with minimal mods. I've also noticed the rotors are really close to the same between the zj, ford, rubicon. Maybe grimm could pull the three and take some measurements.
03-06 rubicon rear 44, 95-01 8.8 disc and 95-98 zj rear disc.

Back