• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ or SJ?

JoesXJ said:
wtf is a SJ?
An SJ is a full size Cherokee aka an FSJ or a Grand Wagoneer. I believe the Grand Waggys were actually FSJs while the Full Size Cherokee was just an SJ.

XJ is the midsize cherokee 84+ and SJ is the old big full size cherokee\wagoneer style. Google?

Damn I have to learn to type faster

Doesn't look like an XJ tail light to me (assuming that I understand what you are saying and the picture is correct).

There is a point of confusion....In the mid to late 80s there were XJ cherokees that were called grand wagonners. They are XJs with a higher trim level and the funny double headlights, and horizontal slits on the grill. They usually have wood panels on the side, and I got one of my two XJ44s outa one. They're XJs though, no doubt....just the trim level (like sport, etc.) calls them grand wagonners.

Then there are the full size jeep cherokees. FSJ, or SJ. AFAIK, their designation is just SJ, while FSJ just comes as an acronym. XJs and SJs have three things in common: they're both jeeps, they're both called cherokees, and they both have solid axles front and rear. The similarities stop there. If you're not using call letters, then usually grand wagoneer is referring to an SJ....but there is that caveat. Although SJs weren't as common as they were in the 70s and early 80s after the introduction of the XJ, they were still produced and available for purchase at dealers until 1991!!!

The SJ (var. FSJ) was around since about the late 1960's, and was a full-size Jeep wagon. The "Wagoneer" version was a five-door, while the "Cherokee" version was a three-door and a bit sportier.

The XJ debuted in 1984 as "Cherokee" and "Wagoneer," while the SJ continued production until 1991/1992 as the "Grand Wagoneer" with the 360ci Gen-3 AMC V8 (not to be confused with the Chrysler 360 LA-block V8.)

The 1992MY (either end - I don't quite recall which offhand) was the end of the SJ's production run. I'm fairly sure it was 1992, because the Grand Cherokee/ZJ (another name for the Wagoneer/SJ) came out in 1993 as a replacement for the "upscale" crowd.

The "other" FSJ/SJ-series vehicle was the full-size pickup truck (commonly called the "J-Truck,") which ended production sometime around 1987. It was built on a similar frame, and had similar options for the powertrain (but was a bit more rugged - even for AMC!)

mjma said:
There is a point of confusion....In the mid to late 80s there were XJ cherokees that were called grand wagonners. They are XJs with a higher trim level and the funny double headlights, and horizontal slits on the grill. They usually have wood panels on the side, and I got one of my two XJ44s outa one. They're XJs though, no doubt....just the trim level (like sport, etc.) calls them grand wagonners.
They were Wagoneers, but not grand. The full size Jeep was still being made in the 80's, and the last iteration of the original full size Wagoneer was labeled the Grand Wagoneer.

It gets a little confusing, because of the way Jeep recycles names. The very first full size Jeep back in 1963 was called the Wagoneer, and remained the only one until much later, when a two door version, dubbed the Cherokee, appeared. Later they put out a 4 door full size Cherokee as well. The "grand" designation wasn't needed for either until they brought out the XJ.

Matthew Currie said:
They were Wagoneers, but not grand. The full size Jeep was still being made in the 80's, and the last iteration of the original full size Wagoneer was labeled the Grand Wagoneer.

It gets a little confusing, because of the way Jeep recycles names. The very first full size Jeep back in 1963 was called the Wagoneer, and remained the only one until much later, when a two door version, dubbed the Cherokee, appeared. Later they put out a 4 door full size Cherokee as well. The "grand" designation wasn't needed for either until they brought out the XJ.

Yeah, like I said, it gets a little confusing!!!

There were no 4 headlight "XJs" called Grand Wagonners. They were just Wagoneers.

The very early ZJ's might have been called Grand Wagonners...with the wood trim and all. Not XJs though. They were never "Grand."

The shops and parts places looking up my 88 always get a puzzled look and say "this says mid sized wagoneer/cherokee. which one do you have?" I'm like "yes it's the same exact vehicle." I have to point out that as long as it does not say "full sized wagoneer" they are safe. This is one reason I never let mechanics near my rig anymore. You never know when a vo-tech dropout might be molesting your truck! (nothing against those who went to vo-tech and did well, but if you went there, you know which guys I am refering to!)

xj88superjeep said:
The shops and parts places looking up my 88 always get a puzzled look and say "this says mid sized wagoneer/cherokee. which one do you have?" I'm like "yes it's the same exact vehicle." I have to point out that as long as it does not say "full sized wagoneer" they are safe. This is one reason I never let mechanics near my rig anymore. You never know when a vo-tech dropout might be molesting your truck! (nothing against those who went to vo-tech and did well, but if you went there, you know which guys I am refering to!)

Yah. I get tired of smog "techs" telling me that they're going to fail my rig because the CEL/MIL doesn't work. It's RENIX - it's not supposed to work. I take in my FSM when I go.

RENIX is pre-OBD. It has the window for the CEL/MIL (the GM 2.8L V6 was OBD-I, the AMC engines were not,) but there is no bulb behind it. I constantly explain this over and over - and with smogs being pushed to every year for us older rigs, I'm going to have to go over it more often, dammit!

You know, if they're really serious about reducing aggregate tailpipe emissions, let me propose the following:
1) Begin smog testing of motorcycles
2) Begin smog testing of Diesels - particularly heavy Diesels (sorry, but that's where I see the most black smoke. Part-throttle propane enrichment can fix that...)
3) Smog test small engines - like these two-stroke leaf blowers! I see them everywhere, and they're honestly not doing anything useful (I'd probably be less annoyed with them if they'd put a bag on it and suck stuff up, instead of just blowing it around...)
4) Eliminate diamond lanes. Does it make sense to restrict traffic on freeways when you need the space the most? I don't think so - you probably don't either.
5) Start smogging government "fleet" vehicles. Not "emergency" vehicles - fire trucks, police cars, and ambulances should be left alone for maximum performance (although nearly every ambulance out here belongs to a private contractor, and gets smogged. Hmm...) but all the City and County vehicles, the State fleet cars that bureaucrats run around in - I'd say about 70% of the "E" plates out here could be smogged without incident. Make 'em pay for the test as well - should bring down the cost for the rest of us. If it impacts the state budget, perhaps they can cut loose of a layer of middle management that isn't needed, isn't productive, and is a waste of capital.

How about that? I know it's simplistic, but I'm tired of the nonsense - and complex problems often do have simple solutions. You just have to look for them...

(Ed - nothing against those of you who are knowledgable smog techs. I know there are a few out there, but they're few and far between. Rather like an M.D. who doesn't have a Christ complex and/or is willing to listen to you for more than thirty seconds...)

What pisses me off is that I live in a county that does emissions testing and have to test every year, but next county over (30 miles away) doesn't. What's the problem you ask? The problem is that 75% of that county's population commutes back and forth from there to here every day and they are the ones driving for an hour in the morning and an hour at night and I am the one with the test.

Back