• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Bypass Pulley

stagevi

NAXJA Forum User
Hello:

I am looking for an A/C bypass pulley with bracket for my 98 Sport. I have found plenty of bypass pulleys for Grand Cherokees and Wranglers but none for XJs.

Will any of the Grand Cherokee/Wrangler pulleys work?

Does anyone know who sells XJ bypass pulleys?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am not saying thats wrong (above) but when I tried a wrangler water pump it didn't work as the fan&pulley stuck out too far.
Hopefully others will chime in to deny/confirm this, or other options.

XJwheeler95 said:
any bypass pully will work from a wrangler as long as its from a 4.0 b/c the ac is in the same place on all the 4.0
Not so, I'm afraid the pulley offset is different on all non XJ 4.0 engines.Wranglers & Grand Cherokees all have the clutch fan mounted to the water pump & the offsets are different on all of them.I have done a number of these by-pass set ups in different ways, including using the water pump & all the accesorys off a non air 4.0 YJ. I recently saw a thread on moving your alternator up to where the a/c comp sits. I haven't done one that way yet, but I think it's the way to go. Someone in NAXJA said they got a delete pulley for their 98 from the dealer but my dealer told me there was't one for my 95. The only XJ pulley I could find was for the 91/93, made by Dorman products for $59. The offset was wrong but I found a thread on the Jeep Forum that advised me to hog the holes out enough to make it line up properly. I drilled out the mounting holes to 9/16 % used hardened bolts and washers & it works. It's a real pos plastic pulley on a nice cast aluminum bracket The 87/90 is the only factory 4.0 a/c delete that I have ever seen, but you need to use all the pulleys & I don't know if it can even be made to work on your rig. the simplest way is to get the Dorman Products pulley & modify the bracket. You should do an advanced search for "4.0 high mount alternator. It's not as simple as the crappy expensive pulley, but it gets your alternator up out of the mud & crud as well as getting rid of the a/c. You could always fix the a/c of course. My 87 Laredo dd still has it! EDIT Dorman products is the company that makes Help products.

Back