• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Number of leves in a bastard pack?

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
I built bastard packs for my 94' XJ to give me 5" of lift when i noticed that my leaves were bent in the wrong direction. I used the stock main, another main, 2 of the next leaves in line, a used 3" add-a-leaf, 2 more of the next in line, and the one lower leaf. This gave me an 8 leaf pack of all XJ leaves that sits fairly flat and has an ok shackle angle. Now it rides well for the amount of weight i always carry in my jeep but im affraid it may offer no articulation. So i was wondering what the normal amount of leaves used in a bastard pack are? I also don't like the amount of travel out of my stock shackle so i thought about relocating the mount and adding some lift at the same time but am concerned about then creating a snag point. This may allow me to remove some leaves for a little bit better ride and maybe more articulation?

what do you mean they are bent in the wrong direction? Any pics available. as for the shackle you can get the 1.5 inch longer that will change it a bit or the boomerang ones I think they are 1.5 or 2" also.

Sean

100_2437.jpg

Here you can see the little bolt i think my shackle is hitting.

100_2430.jpg

Here it is with 6"s on 33's

100_2519.jpg

100_2522.jpg

Bent the wrong way lets see... Think a rainbow, and a regular pack is like a smile. Horrible reference but the best i could come up with.

my leaf packis only 4 leafs. i'm taking time building a new pack tho. with a 2 inch shackle i get 5.5 lift

What does everyone carry for weight? i have at all times... My full size spare, high lift jack, every fluid needed to change everything(oil, tranny, t-case, diffs, radiator, etc...) All required tools, all other fluids like penetrating oils and brake clean. Spare drive shafts, all 4 axle shafts, calipers, all steering components, started, altenator, steering pump, steering box, fire extinguisher, tow straps, all hoses, fuses, drill, trac bar, trac bar bracket, computer. I think thats all of it but maybe a few more parts. thats alot of weight before i add heavy duty bumpers and a winch.

94XJ2door5speed said:
Bent the wrong way lets see... Think a rainbow, and a regular pack is like a smile. Horrible reference but the best i could come up with.

i understand that, but from your pics they seem to bend the right way just dont seem to have a big arch. or did you install some upside down in the bastard pack? Looks like the normal arch to me with the exception of being a bit on the flat side. I think you are getting more of your hight from the thickness of the pack then from the arch. I dont know I am a bit tired. have to check it out tomorrow when i can think a bit better! hehe

sean

Do you carry all of that stuff on the road everyday, or is it a trail rig mostly?

You will find a lot of people saying that for good flex you want a flat leaf pack, and it makes sense. I think a lift shackle added, and removing maybe 2 leafs (one each of the equal lengths leafs). If you find it sags from all the weight you carry, add one back in as needed.
It may help too, if you could attach those leafs clamps at the bottom, but leave them loose on the top. They will keep the leafs aligned, but allow them to seperate when they droop.

I will keep that in mind and yes i do carry all of that everyday as my daily driver.

sounds like your gas milage sucks carrying all that. pull most that out until you actually hit some tailsworthy of spare parts

dude, ditch all the parts, buy a trailor, and just carry around a parts car. that way you can have your cargo space back!

Back