• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj ignition problem

KansasXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 renix xj. I was wheeling one day an the jeep died. Tried the usual cps, tried a couple different used ignition modules, coil, coil wire, checked grounds, tried a different ecu. I have power and ground going into the ignition module with the key in the on position. The jeep will still fire up intermittanetly, it will run for mayb 2 or 3 minutes then die and not fire again till it cools down. I could use some new ideas on where to go from here, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

:cheers: The Chiltons & Haynes books have good clear instructions on how to test this stuff with a simple multimeter[this is only for Renix rigs]. My 87 had what sounds like the identical problem. I started of with a reman. distributor,a cps a different ecu, & a couple of coil modules. The second coil module finaly fixed it for me. Then a buddy showed me how to trouble shoot the system with my dmm & it was pretty simple. I was intimidated by the electronics & spent a bunch of time & money needlessly. The upside is I have pretty much replaced everything in my 20 year old ignition.It sound like about the only thing you haven't replaced is the distributor. If used parts don't come off a running motor it's a crapshoot. It's ironic what finally fixed mine was the second free used coil & module.

Yea i starting checking wires and grounds from the ecu back to the module again. Then i went to have one of our local parts stores check to see if the module was good, nobody had the right connectors to test it. Im gonna try and find a distributor and get out the multimeter tommorow. Ill let you know if i figure out anything, thanks for the reply.

Back