• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission shifting into and out of OD???

joeyschribar

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone, i have a weird problem on my jeep.

its a 92 with 4.0, and its got the auto tranny.

when i drive up to around 110KM/h at highway speeds, the tranny shifts all fine, then after a few minutes of cruising speeds the rpm will constantly jump.

It almost seems as tho the tranny is shifting into and out of overdrive.
It may be due to my gearing on the jeep, im running 4.10's with 33's/

I dont know if its an electrical connector that controls the unit to shifting into OD, but i was wondering if there was a way i could make the tranny never shift into OD.

Also, i replaced the TPS, IAC, and MAP sensors and i still get the same problem.
I actually shifted the tranny back to 3rd gear once and it still was giving me the same problem, and ive never noticed it at lower speeds, only at 100KM/h or higher?!?!@

hopefully someone can help, the tranny has been rebuilt 2 years ago as well.
Thanks.

joeyschribar said:
hey everyone, i have a weird problem on my jeep.

its a 92 with 4.0, and its got the auto tranny.

when i drive up to around 110KM/h at highway speeds, the tranny shifts all fine, then after a few minutes of cruising speeds the rpm will constantly jump.

It almost seems as tho the tranny is shifting into and out of overdrive.
It may be due to my gearing on the jeep, im running 4.10's with 33's/

I dont know if its an electrical connector that controls the unit to shifting into OD, but i was wondering if there was a way i could make the tranny never shift into OD.

Also, i replaced the TPS, IAC, and MAP sensors and i still get the same problem.
I actually shifted the tranny back to 3rd gear once and it still was giving me the same problem, and ive never noticed it at lower speeds, only at 100KM/h or higher?!?!@

hopefully someone can help, the tranny has been rebuilt 2 years ago as well.
Thanks.
If it still has the same problem when you shift it into 3, then it's not shifting between 3rd and OD. It sounds to me like the torque converter is locking and unlocking. Also check the trans cable that attaches to the throttle body and make sure it is adjusted properly. Do a search or consult the manual for the procedure.

oh, i thought the tranny has 4 speeds, and then an overdrive.

so i guess my problem is just that the RPM's flucuate at highway speed.
it definatly dosent shift back into 3rd, cuase it only fluctuates 2-300 RPM.

if the torque converter locks and unlocks, then is that a sign of one failing?

i will set up the cable, and see if it makes a difference.

Also, the tranny fluid is a little bit overfilled, just to be certain would that affect the tranny like this?

thanks

That sounds like it's the t/c locking and unlocking. It may be as simple as a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If it's shifting oddly at other speeds I'm suspect its time to replace the TPS as the do evenually wear out and get "scratchy" just like the volume knob on an old radio.

Or perhaps a bad brake switch (unlocking thinking you hit the brakes). A 92 uses the brake light switch I believe, where the older Renix Jeeps had an extra white switch higher up on the brake pedal?

lawsoncl said:
That sounds like it's the t/c locking and unlocking. It may be as simple as a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If it's shifting oddly at other speeds I'm suspect its time to replace the TPS as the do evenually wear out and get "scratchy" just like the volume knob on an old radio.

Or perhaps a bad brake switch (unlocking thinking you hit the brakes). A 92 uses the brake light switch I believe, where the older Renix Jeeps had an extra white switch higher up on the brake pedal?
If you actually read the whole post he says that he has replaced the TPS. Yes, it could be a TQ going bad, but doubtful IMO. It sounds electrical to me, check the brake light switch, grounds, etc.

i had a similar prob on my '92. Torque convertor would lock and then stay locked until I hit the brakes. I changed my speed sensor and the thing drives like brand new.... well almost.

Happened to me... found that my brake switch was a little mis-aligned with the pedal... straightened it out... problem solved... ('93 SE)

Last edited:
Back