• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front skid. What's it worth?

Steve_Moore

NAXJA Forum User
I browse ebay all the time and ran across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=330261034189&rd=1

Now I'm not real smart on the skids, I actually still need to get some if anyone has any to sell, but that seems real high for a factory front skid. I know shipping is free, and that's probably 20-25 bucks by itself. My question is, is there something special about this skid or just crazy folks that don't know better?

They are junk! I've had two XJs with the factory skid plates & the front ones are nfg. They are $15/$20 at wrecking yards, they are in the way when you work on your rig & they are really hard to remove when you bend them up, and if you wheel ,you will bend it up. I still have the t/c & gas tank skids on my 87 & while they are better than nothing, they could be a lot better. You have probably noticed hardly anyone runs the factory front skids. There is a reason for that! I suppose if I was going to restore an old XJ to factory original an nos front skid might be worth $100 because most of them are bent up or on the scrap pile because they are a pos.:explosion

:cheers:
darincraft said:
They do offer some protection but they are also in the way a lot. I pulled mine and I am waiting to see if I will regret it.
You won't regret it, if you ever take a good hit down there it'll a pita to remove. All it's really good for is keeping brush out ot the engine compartment. I suppose if you don't have to deal with rocks, stumps, etc it might be worth while.I wish I'd taken pictures after I tacoed mine. They will give you a false sense of security. Just my opinion & experience.

I got mine for free...if that means anything.

even if it is minimal protection, its still protection. keeps the engine bay slightly cleaner. and you have to think it must offer some type of improvement in aerodynamics however minute... at high speeds its probably making a little difference over not having it.

I just sold one for 80 on ebay.. But I listed it for 40, this guy is just trying to get top dollar. It probably wont sell.

My OE skids does a great job of keeping sand out of my engine bay.

Sand is a PITA to get out of an engine bay......

I think it's far to thin for any major thumps though....

[ quote=Muddy Beast]I got mine for free...if that means anything.[/quote] I live a ferry boat ride away from you. Are you sure it didn't come from my scrap pile? If it still has the brackets you might give it a try. My stock brackets are so bent up they can't be repaired , otherwise I'd offer them to you. Just don't try the rock chutes at Reiter if you use it, or you'll be pulling it off on the side of the trail . Been there, done that. It would give your rig the"Trail Rated" look & it does help keep the brush out of the engine compartment.:peace:

Hammered said:
It probably wont sell.

Won't sell?!?

It's not a Buy It Now auction. There are people bidding on it and the price is up to $100. Which like everyone says is too much.

But there's a sucker born every minute. And that's the beauty of eBay.

I've had two Jeeps with that front skid plate. And I gave both of them away for free.

I go back & forth on the stock skid I have as to whether it's more trouble than it's worth. As it is I have it installed because I needed the room in my shop. I'll see what this one sells for and weigh the worth agin the trouble and/or the protection it may/may not provide.

It does make getting in ther harder. It even makes LOOKING at the steering stuff harder. I've had mine in, out, painted, bent, straightened, in, out, etc.

I sure wouldn't pay $100 for one. But I'll sell mine for say...$101.00

xjohnnyc said:
Won't sell?!?

It's not a Buy It Now auction. There are people bidding on it and the price is up to $100. Which like everyone says is too much.
oh, my bad. I thought I saw the Buy it now thing. In that case... wow

The guy almost directly quotes my ebay listing description. My guess is he saw what Mine went for and listed it.

Damn, I sold mine local for like 10 bucks... same as i paid at the yard.

I pulled mine after consulting with some fellow NAXJA members and determining that it was no longer covering the steering parts because of my lift; and thats what its supposed to protect.

They go for around $25 here in our area. I run one on all my rigs, some protection is better than none and I reinforce them as well. I like the fact it keeps mud and junk off of the altenator.

Back